Hi from Utrecht (and Zurich/Kuala Lumpur)

tonhalle_zrh

Hi from Utrecht (and Zurich/Kuala Lumpur)

Post by tonhalle_zrh » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 am

Hi!

I'm an intermediate-advanced amateur guitarist who's getting back to my instrument after multiple hiatuses. I started lessons at ~ 11 (did those Trinity Guildhall exams...), went without a teacher for several years and moved around, took performance lessons while at college in the US for 2 years, moved around some more, and now will be splitting my time between these 3 cities, mostly in Utrecht, Netherlands for now where I'm hoping to find a teacher again.

For me, playing guitar as a kid was exciting from a mechanical point of view - training myself to master fingerings and plucking patterns. I enjoyed the music I made, but don't think I really engaged intellectually. Now that I'm a bit older, I find that I listen more carefully to music and engage with it more deeply. I also now listen to a lot of orchestral music, which oddly enough, feels like a world away from the guitar repertoire (does anyone else feel this way?!?).

(On that note, I have an essay in the pipeline about the place of classical guitar and its repertoire in the 'classical music' world as we know it. Would anyone be interested in discussing this with me?)

I'm currently working on some Sor Etudes just to get my fingers warm again, and would really like to learn the the Bach Fugue BVW1000, as well as his sonatas and partitas for violin. In the past I've given small concerts of Milongas, some Lauro waltzes, and Bach's Cello Suite. Inspired by a live performance I heard, I'm trying to arrange Schumann's D Minor Violin Concerto for guitar, but am learning this might be a fool's errand!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hi from Utrecht (and Zurich/Kuala Lumpur)

Post by GeoffB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:44 am

Hi tonhalle_zrh,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for an interesting introduction! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions.

By the way, if you don't get much response here about the essay topic, it would be worth reposting that question separately in Public Space with a suitably descriptive title to attract the attention of those who might be interested in discussing it.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

tonhalle_zrh

Re: Hi from Utrecht (and Zurich/Kuala Lumpur)

Post by tonhalle_zrh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:20 am

thanks Geoff!

Return to “Introduce yourself”