Greetings from Wales :)

el Zilcho

Greetings from Wales :)

Post by el Zilcho » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Hello guys :bye:

First off thanks so much for your contributions to this forum, it's such a fantastic resource to be able to freely tap into.
I've been learning guitar for nearly 20 years and I can't believe that its took me so long to figure out that joining an online forum might actually be great idea. :roll:

I'm self taught, undisciplined, intermittently focused and oozing with horrendous habits. Gaping holes in my skills and knowledge.. but i'm always trying and I love it. I think as ive progressed and opened new doors in my skillset ive come to recognise just how far I have to go before i'll feel in any way accomplished.

I began my learning at around 15 on a mutilated old steel 12 string (strung with 6 strings) which I strummed until I could afford my first "proper" guitar.. a cheap ibanez. I took a liking to fingerstyle and gravitated towards the likes of paul simon, nick drake, jose gonzales and stuff like that. Painstakingly figuring out tunes note for note (pause/rewind ad infinitum). I remained content for a while... until my first twang of a nylon string.. some battered 1/2 size classical bought for a fiver at a car boot sale. That was enough for me... goodbye steel strings ..I set them aside, cast them away, denounced them.. .. .ok a bit dramatic but the point is, I never looked back. Eventually I bought a washburn c80s and for the past 3 years or so i've been lost in classical guitar and it's been a beautiful adventure.

So currently i'm applying the same airheady approach to studying for the ABRSM grade 5. Lagrima, Romance and Fields of Green have been my revolving repetoire for a couple of months.. those and i'm working on Yamour in between for the fun of it. I think I could probably pass "as is" even with my uneven, ill educated technique but I want to avoid going into the exam anything less than absolutely confident. I haven't completed any grades of any kind in the past but I think that grade 5 is probably a fair reflection of where I am give or take a grade or two with some aspects. I'm kind of just testing the water for now I think. Hopefully I can find a good tutor to help with grade 6 ..or 5 if I fail first time.

I need to work on so much and I find it pretty difficult trying to unravel my mislearnings to re-establish better fundamentals but it's guys like you, imparting your hard earned wisdom for the benifit of miseducated fools like me, who make it much more bearable.

So Thanks :D

See you around

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Greetings from Wales :)

Post by GeoffB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi el Zilcho,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

el Zilcho

Re: Greetings from Wales :)

Post by el Zilcho » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 pm

GeoffB wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pm
After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections.
How splendid!

:mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce yourself”