intro and guitar wall support

Laird

intro and guitar wall support

Post by Laird » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 am

Hi my name is Laird, I live in New Zealand and Ive just bought a new Cordoba C10. I have another steel string guitar, Taylor GS mini, which I keep in my music room on the wall and my question is would it harm the Classical guitar to keep it out of the case and handy for practice on a wall hanger as well. It is solid Indian Rosewood back and sides with a solid cedar top.

Erik Zurcher

Re: intro and guitar wall support

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:29 am

Hello Laird and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 am

would it harm the Classical guitar to keep it out of the case
It depends on the humidity in your room. If its likely to drop below 45% then you might need to think about a humidifier, either in the case or a whole room one. Some don't like the sound of their guitars in high humidity (more than 70%) and in extremes of high temperature and high humidity then a French polished finish can suffer. Apart from that, a guitar will be OK structurally.

I've just looked at the Met for Auckland and see that its 95% rH outdoors, its likely to be 15-25% lower than that inside. But I suspect that this is only for a short time. The only way to be sure is to get a Hygrometer to check the room . The Caliber IV is available online and has been widely recommend on this forum. Its not very expensive and seems to be reliable and accurate.

The fact that you keep your Taylor in the room and its has been OK, probably means that the Cordoba would be OK too, but there's no guarantee of that. I thought that the Cordoba had some sort of laquer finish, but perhaps you need to check.

I keep my guitars on a stand in the room and although its cold at the moment, the rH is generally around 65%, it doesn't seem to cause a problem.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:22 pm

If you are interested in getting a very rough estimate of the RH inside a room you can use the following RH calculator.

It requires:

Outdoor RH% (a ballpark figure can be got from local meteorological website)
Outdoor Temperature (C)
Room Temperature

There are other fields in the form, but you can ignore those if all you want is the room RH%

https://www.lenntech.com/calculators/hu ... midity.htm

or a simpler version:

http://www.richard-stanton.com/humidity-calculator/

NB Don't totally rely on these calculations, they are better than nothing but you still need a hygrometer.
Last edited by JohnB on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:40 pm

duplicate
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Laird

Post by Laird » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 am

Hey thanks guys for your thoughtful and helpful input. Yes I can get the outside humidity( its 88% at the moment) for Oxford, a small town in the south Island of NZ, but I will buy a good Hygrometer and fix it on the wall with my guitars to keep a check.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:36 pm

I personally would not leave a solid top out of the case (there are other discussions here regarding that so I won't go into details here). But, if you do use a wall hanger, at least make sure it is not on an outside wall, near an air/heater vent, or on a wall that gets direct sunlight.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Introduce yourself”