Hello from Overland Park, Kansas

kwhelan

Hello from Overland Park, Kansas

Post by kwhelan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:15 am

My name is Kevin Whelan. I am 75 years young and started playing guitar in the 1960s. A friend of mine purchased a Ramirez guitar for me when in Spain. When I was attending Rockhurst College in the 1960s I started taking classical guitar lessons at The Conservatory of Music in Kansas City. My instructor was Ray Reussner. During the time I was taking lessons, I made arrangements for him to perform at Rockhurst College. I had difficulty learning to read music, likely due to my dyslexia, and to this day I can’t read music. Since I was a child I was gifted to be able to ‘play by ear’, and when I took piano lessons as a kid, I never learned to read music. I would play a piece with the instructor showing me how it sounded, and I would then just play it by ear, and never learned to read music. I wrote songs and in the 1960s. I joined with a friend and we cut a record. My friend was a musical genius and he played most of the tracks and I played along on my composition on one side, and he completed the flip side by himself. He was so good that the whole recording session at Damon Studios was completed in one take! Over the years my guitar playing has been on and off, mostly off. I still have the Ramirez guitar which is in need of repair. Last year I purchased an inexpensive Cordoba guitar that I planned to play while my Ramirez is being repaired. Jim Baggett of Mass Music in Lawrence, Kansas, is going to pick up my Ramirez guitar and have it worked on in his shop sometime this year. I am somewhat home bound and have driving restrictions, so I am unable to drive to Lawrence. I am a widower as of 3 years ago, and I seemed to be so busy with chores and my writing, a passion of mine, that I have rarely taken the time to play piano or guitar. I hope to carve out some time in 2018 to get back into playing piano and guitar a little more. I stumble on to this resource a few years back and now I have returned and hope to read it occasionally. This is longer than I expected. Thank you for the opportunity to partake here.

George Crocket

Re: Hello from Overland Park, Kansas

Post by George Crocket » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 am

Hello Kevin. Welcome to the forum. I do hope you manage to spend a little more time playing guitar again. Perhaps you can get some inspiration here. :chitarrista:

Please be sure to have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. Once you have posted a second message you will be able to access all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 am

Welcome Kevin
Hope Jim shows up soon and that your Ramirez has a speedy & full recovery. :wink:

kwhelan

Post by kwhelan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Thank you George Crocket and CathyCate for your welcoming feedback!
I hope to spend more time with my guitar in the future. Right now, unfortunately, I am totally engrossed in my free time with that nasty responsibility of doing my complex taxes. Ugh!

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Welcome, Kevin, from another septuagenarian. I think you will find the forum a great resource. Glad you're here.
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Kevin... This is a good place to while away some time, while also learning, and contributing.
Not reading music makes things difficult in some ways, but may clear the path in others.
I used to live in Lawrence.
Welcome
Steve

Return to “Introduce yourself”