Greetings from Pensacola

NiceAndRelaxed

Greetings from Pensacola

Post by NiceAndRelaxed » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:45 pm

I bought my first guitar (a steel string applause) many, many years ago. I taught myself basic chords and then started taking lessons, which only lasted a few months. I honestly don't remember why I quit. After learning chords, I could strum a lot of pop tunes from the 70's.

Fast forward to about seven years ago, I let a few decades pass without picking up my guitar. Then I started taking lessons again at a local music store and was not that impressed with the instructor. The instructor could play well but not teach well. I then signed up at my local community college and started taking classical guitar lessons because I wanted to learn how to play better.

Today I am still taking classical guitar lessons and enjoying it immensely. However, as this is only a hobby and not for a career, my progress is slow, though I am perfectly happy with my progress. Part of the slowness comes from my instructor helping me overcome all the bad habits I learned when teaching myself to play the steel string guitar, which is very different from playing a classical guitar, at least for me.

I just came across this great site this morning while searching for Julio Sagreras lesson books which I have heard are phenomenal books. I will be playing one of the easier ones (my copy only reads Sagreras Etude) in a master class today. I am a little nervous and I look forward to breaking through another level of performance anxiety.

I love classical music and I would also like to play Latin music as that sound simply resonates with me.

Cheers! :bye:

simonm

Re: Greetings from Pensacola

Post by simonm » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Welcome to the forum.

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- To get started please take a look at the new member info here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36537

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- It is useful to put your location into your profile so that people can see where you are located. Just click on your name on the right and then on "edit profile".

Regards,

Simon

Return to “Introduce yourself”