A New Yorker, a new learner, hope to have all of you cheer me on

mannybu

A New Yorker, a new learner, hope to have all of you cheer me on

Post by mannybu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:38 am

I have always been in love with music, and fascinated with the way it is generated out of just about anything, as long as there is some music the player wants to share. And I have always been enthralled by the control a good musician has over the experience.

After the required music lessons we had to endure as children, I was happy to tap my fingers on tabletops, etc. But, always dreamed of learning to play an instrument well. A bit over a year ago, while winding down my pre-retirement project--five-year financials, etc., for a local bank, the thought of buying a guitar flashed into mind.

Got a steel string dread that sounds pretty good, although I am yet to make it sound that way consistently; and to meet my real love for guitars, purchased a second-hand Cordoba C7. This one has been subjected to the same self-taught chord sequences enjoyed by the first purchase, so it is difficult to say how it sounds as a classical guitar :shock:

Let's see how I can combine the lessons in this site, which, by just a quick look, appears to be chuck full of well-designed instruction and lots of marvelous resources, and other resources, such as personal instruction, to become a decent classical guitarist. I think a teacher will help undo any bad habits I have acquired over the last few months of Internet-driven instruction, and accelerate progress. Saw some of the comments on students' postings at the end of lessons and the comments were to the point, and very supportive. I am a bit behind that level, so I need to do some prep work before undertaking that step.

Thanks for having me. Look forward to much learning and the assistance of all of you.

Erik Zurcher

Re: A New Yorker, a new learner, hope to have all of you cheer me on

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 am

Hello mannybu and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

mannybu

Post by mannybu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:43 am

Thank you, Erik, for all the helpful tips and suggestions; I feel the excitement experienced when moving to a new country.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:36 am

Welcome!
You are soooo lucky that you are in NY! You will have no shortage of choices for a teacher. I recommend taking lessons as soon as possible from a real Classical Guitar teacher. I neglected it for most of my guitar playing life (rock music) but just started playing classical and see how incredibly valuable it is.
You will like it here...good group of guys and gals.

NiceAndRelaxed

Post by NiceAndRelaxed » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Erik,
Welcome to Classical Guitar. Here are some ideas that help me the most.

First, I am taking lessons from a great classical guitar instructor. And, as you mentioned, they help you with your technique and to correct problems before they become ingrained.

Second, try to create situations that motivate you to practice. For me, it is either playing a recital at my local college (where I take my lessons), or committing to playing in public places. For me, we have a Gallery Night downtown once a month. One of the art galleries has a musician play for a couple of hours in their gallery (for tips only). So the audience is temporary and forever changing throughout the evening, and I am not getting paid, which all helps to take the stress off of me and I can play in a more relaxed setting. Also, because the audience is always rotating, I don't need too many pieces in my repertoire. Creating the pressure to perform truly motivates me to practice consistently and that is when I notice my playing improving the most. I did this last year and will try to book one of the nights again this year.

Finally, just play what you love and love what you play. Enjoy!
NiceAndRelaxed a.k.a Michael

McGee

Post by McGee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 pm

I'm an older (65 years) person who started playing guitar again four years ago after a thirty-plus
year layoff. I really didn't have any goal in mind when I started but almost from the beginning I
gravitated to the finger style country blues and had fun learning from the online videos. About five
months ago I started lessons with a young, talented, classically trained teacher with hopes of improving
my right hand technique. After a few months of working on stuff I would bring in to him, he asks me
if I wanted to learn how to read music. So I went straight down that rabbit hole to page one of books
by Scott Tenant and Christopher Parkening. He also loaned me a classical guitar with a real thick u
shaped neck that I was very uncertain about at first. After about four months of this, my teacher has me
unlearning the things I had taught myself. He has also placed me in an ensemble with two other beginners
to work through a piece by Mozart. This has certainly got me out of my comfort zone. Our ensemble is
still a little herky-jerky but we're getting there. This is something I may never had done without the guidance
of a good instructor. Good luck with your guitar journey. You will forever have something new to work on.
Good luck also on your retirement when it happens.

Return to “Introduce yourself”