Hi from UK, Coventry

Hi from UK, Coventry

Post by shh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi all

I'm an acoustic finger picker, mainly. In the John Fahey, travis picking style. After a few years of uninspired technical drills on an electric guitar I set that aside and never picked it up again, not after I started digging into Fahey's music. And man does it go deep. It didn't take me long to become completely obsessed with the great american primitivists, Sir Richard Bishop, Robbie Basho and of course the great kloonaklaster himself JF. I could never really play Fahey's stuff though. Well, I tried.

So I played Fahey pieces almost exclusively for about two years, although I could never scratch the surface of what he was doing. Thankfully, I stumbled on Mario Parodi. Finally, a real musician! And a new obsession. Now I have a new teacher, Parodi of course, and a new guitar. I should probably mention I haven't had a formal music tutor in years. Anyway, I got a Takamine c132s based upon the recommendations of the advice corner of this lovely forum, and I haven't put it down since. I'm working Claire de Lune, Arabesque, Parodi's Preludio no.1 (which, if you haven't heard, is pure joy) and his Gavotte arrangement. My music taste is really too wide to go into, although I will say I have a particular love for world music of all kinds. And that's me :)

Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hi from UK, Coventry

Post by GeoffB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi shh,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions.

Sorry, by the way, but I needed to edit out the link in your post, as we can't post recordings of copyrighted music here without prior permission from the copyright owners. You'll find out more about that in due course when you get time to read through the rules (section III in that particular case).

I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Introduce yourself”