Hola! Middle-aged amateur

lucho

Hola! Middle-aged amateur

Post by lucho » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Hello forum:

I have been spying on CGDC awhile and thought it finally time to sign up and contribute. Here's my summary.

Playing Background
I began playing guitar as a kid (mainly electric rock) and was terrible because I wanted things easy and didn't like practicing (lots of tab!!). So I was always at the beginner level, playing off-on-on (mostly off) over the subsequent years. Some years ago I moved to a new city for work and took the opportunity to begin formal lessons in classical guitar. This time, I had a great teacher (Bill Newman from Classical Guitar Store in Philly) and lots of free time to practice. Would you believe it...I actually improved! Then life got in the way once again, I moved for work, and left the guitar for a bit. But now I am living in central Mexico and have an excellent instructor, with whom I meet weekly. I am finally improving and each week enjoying the instrument more and more.

Level
When people ask, I say I'm at the intermediate level. Although on a site like this one, I'm inclined to say "high beginner" or "low intermediate", since the talent here is noticeably much higher than the public at large. Current songs in my repertoire are Dia de Noviembre (Brouwer), Kinkachoo (Houghton), Val. 2 (Lauro), and Milonga (Cardoso).

Guitars
I had always played with a cheap factory guitar until I started taking real lessons. Then I committed to a better instrument and bought a Picado 49, which I love. Currently, I'm considering upgrading to a higher level instrument from one of the great Mexican luthiers.

Luthiery
Of note, my first job out of college was working for Taylor Guitars. This spawned an interest in luthiery and woodworking in general, and I began making boxes, tables, etc. in my apartment. Eventually, I made two guitars at home using the Cumpiano book. Both steel string. One sounded great but played like crap, the other played well but sounded like crap. In any case, it was a great experience. That was 18 years ago and I have since sold my woodworking gear and my stint at Taylor only lasted a year before I left to attend graduate school in a whole different industry. So I don't have any further experience with woodworking, but I do retain my interest (one day I hope to come back to it). Even today, since I worked in Taylor's body department, I am a snob when it comes to purfling and well-cut mitres! :D

That's it. Glad to be aboard!

Lucho

CathyCate

Re: Hola! Middle-aged amateur

Post by CathyCate » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Dear lucho

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

You need a second post to have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, to all members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and to be able post your own scores and recordings. After more posts you may apply for access to some higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

I enjoyed reading your complete and entertaining introduction. Wishing you all the best on this new leg of your musical journey.

Have fun! and welcome to Delcamp forum!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Welcome.

If you can play that Brouwer piece you are certainly ell past beginner. That sounds like advanced intermediate to me.

lucho

Post by lucho » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:12 pm

Haha. Thanks.

But every time I go to my lesson and I think I've got a piece down my instructor points out flaws that I didn't even realize could exist and then he immediately shows me how it should be played and does it with grace and command of technique that is superhuman. And then I am humbled.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:30 am

Welcome Lucho. I learned Un Dia last year and now I am struggling through level D07 in the Dalcamp lessons on the Spanish Forum, to give Advanced Intermediate a more “quantitative” benchmark.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Did you find more suggestions? I am about the same level, but, alas, older than middle aged? Laurel in Portland

Return to “Introduce yourself”