Hi from Jason, a player in Connecticut, USA

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Hi from Jason, a player in Connecticut, USA

Post by Jason Kulas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi, I'm a beginner Classical guitar player, in Connecticut, USA. I've lost track of how long learning...a few months? (I took a long break and now re-starting) I love all genres of acoustic guitar music, but Classical is...tied for first with some other genres.

I started playing in college, now it's been a few years, and I'm getting back into it.

I'm self-teaching from the Fred Noad Solo Guitar Playing series. Also have a copy of Yates' "Modern Classical Guitar Method".

I haven't really played any other instrument, other than minimal required music classes pre-high school.

One of my long-term "holy grails" is, besides being able to play some famous Spanish Classical guitar pieces, is to be able to play the music in Fred Noad's Renaissance Guitar book. I heard a performer at a Renaissance festival doing that (on a steel string no less!), and I was in love.

I believe I'm going to be able to play Classical well enough to satisfy myself, and entertain a few family/friends. If I actually got good...maybe perform at some open mic one day. Of course, I'll be trying to be the best player I can be...watch out Segovia, you never know! I'm tall, with long arms, and long fingers, so I ought to be great, right? :wink:

We'll see how the nails go. I tried for long ones years ago, and it was so incompatible with my active lifestyle, it's one of the reasons I gave up guitar.

But then I've read that some people do okay with minimal nails, or no nails, or artificial nails, and I decided I would play the best I could, with whatever nails I felt were sustainable in my lifestyle.

My guitar is an old, used/inexpensive Yamaha G-50A.

If I make good progress in the next few months, I might try to secure a better guitar. I've done a tiny bit of gathering recommendations on appropriate guitars. Perhaps a Cordoba C7 - C12 range? Or a Solista? Or Yamaha GC12 - GC32 range?
Last edited by Jason Kulas on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hi from Jason, beginner player in Connecticut, USA

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Hello Jason and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Introduce yourself”