At it again in Mesa, AZ

GerryM

At it again in Mesa, AZ

Post by GerryM » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:12 pm

As the worlds oldest beginning musician, again, I have put away my banjo and picked up a nylon string guitar. Again.
I took guitar lessons for several years as a child and went thru quite a few electric guitars. The best was a new Gibson Les Paul standard purchased new in 1962 in Kalamazoo, a few miles from the factory. I paid a princely sum of $265. Sold it a few year later when I got bored with electric guitars. Wish I had it back; to sell it, not play it.

Never got any good due to a total lack of musical ability, although I did play in a band. We did play at one wedding where we each got the sum of $10 so I guess I can add "Professional Musician" to my resume. Fast forward about 8 years to graduate school when I kinda fell in love with the sound of nylon. I purchased several classical type guitars including a Martin 000 sized one and a Garcia. Learned a little fingerpicking but the learning material available for classical (Aaron Shearer) was pretty intimidating without a teacher, something a poor grad student couldn't afford.

Fast forward about 30 years and I picked up a banjo when I retired. Spent about 15 years trying to play 5-string but finally decided I will never have the speed required. Jammed a little and played in a RV park band for a winter. Still the old lack of basic music ability thing was a problem.

Last fall I decided to try classical guitar again. Discovered to my amazement that the prices on good used classical guitars was a lot lower now than 49 years ago, accounting for inflation. I since have gone crazy on Craig's List and e - b a y. After buying and selling several recent era used instruments (Cordoba mainly) I have found the holy grail, vintage Japanese classical guitars.

I bought an Aria A560 off Craig's List 2 weeks ago. Wonderful guitar, a little dinged up but sounds really good for $250. Not quite a good as my Lorriente Marrieta (with the repaired dry-cracked top) but close.

I just received my second VJCG, a 1988 Hirade Master Art Model Eight last night from Guitar Center in Houston via UPS. They apparently did not make them this late date, but they actually did. Near mint condition. Sounds wonderful, plays wonderfully. The "buttery sound" description fits. Must have sat in a closet in its case for most of those 31 years.

So I am playing a hour or two a day and am actually making progress thanks to modern technology. The internet is wonderful for exchange of information. Looking forward to actually participating in this forum rather than just reading it from Google.

Gerry McGowan, retired in sunny Mesa, AZ

Erik Zurcher

Re: At it again in Mesa, AZ

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:27 pm

Hello Gerry and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jason Kulas » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:27 am

Cool. If you're interested, there are free lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players...if you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687
Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:14 am

Greetings from the West Valley. Consider plugging into the classical guitar community. There are many mature beginners and enthusiasts. I think the Phoenix Guitar Society meets on your side of town, but they’ve moved around a few times. You might enjoy, and even find someone that you’d want to take on as a teacher.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:12 pm

Welcome Gerry. You might enjoy perusing this thread when you’re done with your hour practicing.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=111723&hilit=Japanese
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Introduce yourself”