Hola From Santo Domingo

ladoblanco

Hola From Santo Domingo

Post by ladoblanco » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:54 am

Hello All,

My name is Kevin, but I go by 'ladoblanco' (a spanish nickname I was given around 17 years or so ago). I'm from the US but have lived in the Dominican Republic for about 14 years now. This is my first delve into posting and such and I typically try not to get too involved online. But with guitar its a bit different. I've always love the guitar. Since I was around 12 and bought my first Alvarez black acoustic. Unfortunately I didn't stick with it due to frustration and just being a dumb kid I guess. But then fast forward about 30 years and now I just turned 42 a few months back and have been studying guitar and musical theory for the first time seriously in my life...and I love it! I feel so bad for not sticking with it when I was younger and losing so many years of making music and having the feeling you only get when you create the mellow tones from your own fingers.

I've played different guitars and always come back to the classical nylon string. I currently have a very low-end school practice guitar that I got from a pawn shop. I put some black nylon strings on it to see what it would sound like, but thinking about going back to the d'addario clear nylons. I don't know what it is about a nylon string guitar, but I'm drawn to the sound much more than what I feel is the twangy steel-string acoustic or electric strats. Don't get me wrong, they both make some beautiful music, but for me, the classical nylon is it.

My favorite artists to date are Andrew York, Earl Klugh, John Williams, Al Di Meola, Roy Clark, and Milos (just to name a few :D ).

Well that's enough about me for now. I'm hoping that this site can help me break though the beginner walls of frustration with some structured practice, etc. Hopefully speak with many of you very soon.

oski79

Re: Hola From Santo Domingo

Post by oski79 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:59 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get rather heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

ladoblanco

Post by ladoblanco » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:40 pm

@oski79

Thank you very much. I'm very excited about this as I feel like its a new avenue and opening new things for me to enjoy in life. Its seldom at this age I find something new to be passionate about, and this fits the bill. Thank you for the direction in the pages to check out. I'll do so today after work.

Thanks again for everything and hope to develop some relationships here as well. :)

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jason Kulas » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Welcome. If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

ladoblanco

Post by ladoblanco » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:48 pm

@ Jason Kulas

Thanks Jason. That's awesome. Much appreciated!

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jason Kulas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:45 am

Also, the classes here don't seem to teach basic music reading, or some basic info about beginner Classical guitar use. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed explanation of technique). Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of the 4 beginner approaches I've examined, but they all offer something unique and valuable. I use Noad and the classes here, supplemented with articles/videos from thisisclassicalguitar.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Return to “Introduce yourself”