Greetings from Washington State

Playmore19

Greetings from Washington State

Post by Playmore19 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:58 am

I’ve been negligent in using this site over the past few years, so had to register again. Life happens sometimes... I am a young, soon-to-be 70 yr old lifelong guitar player, though was smitten with the classical guitar after attending a live performance of Christopher Parkening back in ‘76, resulting in my rushing out to buy my first Oriba concert classical guitar. My guitar playing roots go back to the mid-60’s playing in a rock band (Sears Silvertone, then Gretch Chet Atkins), moving from that genre to folk and an acoustic guitar (Guild D-40), then saw the light in ‘76, and became a devotee to the classical guitar (now owning an ‘86 Contreras).

Have studied with great classical teachers in Seattle over the years, but always hit a plateau of sorts, frustrated with the scales, exercises, etc., wanting to jump right into playing pieces. On a recent trip to Hawaii I found myself unable to resist picking up a ukulele, so that has held my attention for awhile. Then just last year I received a a gift of a Les Paul Goldtop, so found myself once again shifting gears and playing my old song set of Animals, Beatles, Stones, KInks, etc. So my devotion to 6-string instruments is mixed, but would have to say my first love is still classical. My stated goal for the past 5-10 years has been to work up a 45-minute repertoire and play at assisted living/nursing facilities. Maybe Hospice work? But have I done so? Regrettably not. I’ve set the bar for my note-perfect playing so high, it keeps me taking the first step. I also have to contend with moderate performance anxiety. But alas, my wife of 46 years hasn’t given up on me, so I shouldn’t either.

Love the Sor studies, Weiss, Bach, Augustin Mangore, Tárrega, Merlin, Carulli and Giuliani - to name but a few.

This is a fantastic forum and am making a renewed commitment to jump on more often. Thank you for keeping it alive and well!! :merci:

oski79

Re: Greetings from Washington State

Post by oski79 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:07 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:30 am

Playmore19
Welcome aboard!
Listen to your wife and go for it. My sister and I are hospice volunteers. We play for patients and their families as well as for group memorial services. You will have to search hard to find a more encouraging and appreciative audience. It is so fulfilling when you see that your gift of music (however modest) serves a purpose. Check out Bill Tye's Guitar from Down Under website for free downloads of very playable repertoire. All the best and do keep us posted on your progress!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jason Kulas » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:05 pm

You could always start small. Play for 5-10 minutes at an acoustic open mic. That might get you going on the hospice or longer sets you've been considering. Or maybe you'd evolve a new plan.

Don't forget, there will be MANY appreciative listeners who won't know (or care) if you're not note-perfect.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Welcome playmore19. Up here in Blaine, AlomstCanada. If you’re in Bellingham on the third Tuesday of the month, come play for our NWCGS. Or visit the workshops of local luthiers Steve Ganz and Dake Traphagan.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Playmore19

Post by Playmore19 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:32 am

Wow, was pleasantly surprised to have heard from several of you so soon. Thank you! Practicing solo and not with others, and not currently taking lessons can make one feel isolated and a bit adrift. I’m already encouraged by your comments. Can anyone suggest a nice, beginner level repertoire for a 15-30 min set?

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:14 am

If you're feeling isolated, you know there are free lessons here, and you can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

If the classes don't interest you, there are areas on the forum where you can post videos of what you're working on, and maybe get some feedback.

Beginner repertoire...I recently saw this book, looks promising: https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/e ... -volume-1/

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:57 pm

Oooh, and if you like Celtic beginner repertoire, as I do, this looks cool: https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/e ... vol-1-pdf/ 1 free sheet music, some paid sheet music, and free video lessons on all.

Return to “Introduce yourself”