Greetings from Vancouver BC

Peterk

Greetings from Vancouver BC

Post by Peterk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:57 am

Hello, Just starting my journey with classical guitar. I played acoustic folk on a classical guitar back in the 70s. Haven't played in years, four decades to forget my bad habits. Self taught then, played by ear. Now retiring and will have the time to take lessons and practice. Any and all advice on starting out would be gratefully accepted and considered.

George Crocket

Re: Greetings from Vancouver BC

Post by George Crocket » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:18 am

Hello Peter. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your retirement - a great time for classical guitar. My best advice is to get a good classical guitar teacher from the beginning. You will advance more quickly.

But for now, please have a look at our welcome page where there is more information about the forum and its rules. You need to post a second message to gain access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, all the members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and to post your own scores and recordings. After 20 posts you may subscribe to the 020 usergroup with associated membership privileges including access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jason Kulas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Welcome. If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

The classes here don't seem to teach basic music reading, or some basic info about beginner Classical guitar use. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed explanation of technique). Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of the 4 beginner approaches I've examined, but they all offer something unique and valuable. I use Noad and the classes here, supplemented with articles/videos from thisisclassicalguitar.
Last edited by Jason Kulas on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 pm

I know some good teachers in Vancouver. PM me if you like. There is the Vancouver Guitar Society, where you can meet many guitar players and teachers, hear good music, and learn more.
Steve

Return to “Introduce yourself”