Introductory Post

cjdupree

Introductory Post

Post by cjdupree » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:22 pm

Hello, my name is Christina. I have been playing guitar for about 13 years. My father is a blues guitarist, so he started teaching me how to play whenever I was young, around eight years old. I can remember the very first song that I learned to play, it was 'This Land is Your Land'. I am new to classical guitar, but I am very interested in learning how to play it. My favorite kind of music is anything rock or alternative. I am currently working on the song 'Phantom Rider' by Tora Tora. There have been times where I wouldn't play my guitar as often as I should have. Although, I am trying to get back into the habit of playing daily. I believe that it is good for the soul and therapeutic. :)

oski79

Re: Introductory Post

Post by oski79 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Welcome to Delcamp, Christina!

This website is devoted to classical guitar, so I hope it works for you. A little classical technique goes a long way in other styles!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Re: Introductory Post

Post by Jason Kulas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:46 pm

Welcome. If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

The classes here don't seem to teach basic music reading, or some basic info about beginner Classical guitar use. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed explanation of technique). Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of the 4 beginner approaches I've examined, but they all offer something unique and valuable. I use Noad and the classes here, supplemented with articles/videos from thisisclassicalguitar.
Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Return to “Introduce yourself”