Greetings from Ocala, Florida

CKevin

Greetings from Ocala, Florida

Post by CKevin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:27 pm

My name is Kevin and I started taking private guitar lessons at age eight in 1963 and completed my studies at age sixteen in 1971. I started teaching private guitar lessons at age sixteen and eventually joined a few garage bands, then a wedding band, and finally a show band back in the late 70’s to early 80’s.

The guitars I performed with were mostly jazz guitars as in Guilds, Gibson’s, and D’Angelico’s. However, I always enjoyed listening to classical guitar music and eventually, after I left the stage playing top 40 and jazz, I bought a cheap no-name classical guitar. I really enjoyed it and purchased a Alvarez Yairi guitar which had a comfortable feel to it and also had a sweet sound. I started getting better at my new love and found myself performing recitals at churches in works of Mozart, Bach, and a few Spanish master composers. At this time I took advanced lessons from a classical guitar performer/teacher and purchased a Jose Ramirez guitar which was sweet.

Due to financial considerations from married life back then, I was forced to sell my Ramirez and stopped playing altogether. I am now sixty-four years of age, so you can figure I’ve been playing a long time and I want to purchase a good classical guitar, start practicing, playing, and eventually performing again in church recitals but my current finances limit me to $2,500.00 for a new guitar.

I have looked at a few Ramirez’s guitars and a Alvarez Yairi guitar, but I saw a few classical guitars from a Spanish luthier named Amalio Burguet. All his guitars are hand-made with solid wood that has been aged a minimum of seven years.

Has anyone had any experience with guitars from Amalio Burguet? Or have any other suggestions for a hand-made guitar in the $2,500.00 price range? I know there are a number of German luthiers that are supposed to be good builders.

CathyCate

Re: Greetings from Ocala, Florida

Post by CathyCate » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:54 pm

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

You need a second post to have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, to all members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and to be able post your own scores and recordings. After more posts you may apply for access to some higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile. To do this click on the User Control Panel at the upper left, then the Profile tab, then enter the information.

Have fun! and welcome to Delcamp forum!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Return to “Introduce yourself”