Ahoy there from Bristol UK

AndyLamble

Ahoy there from Bristol UK

Post by AndyLamble » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:08 am

Pleased to meet you all. I am a beginner to the classical guitar world who has decided to actually learn to play an instrument as opposed to pootling about now that I have retired from full time work. At this stage I do not know what musical direction I will take but I am impressed by the works that sound simple but reward effort in getting them right e.g Myers Cavatina etc. I would love to hear from any recommendations for a teacher in the Bristol area.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Ahoy there from Bristol UK

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:17 am

Hello Andy and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jason Kulas » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

The classes here don't seem to teach basic music reading, or some basic info about beginner Classical guitar use. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed explanation of technique). Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music in his free book, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of the 4 beginner approaches I've examined, but they all offer something unique and valuable. I use Noad and the classes here, supplemented with articles/videos from thisisclassicalguitar.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

AndyLamble

Post by AndyLamble » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Jason Kulas wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm
If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

The classes here don't seem to teach basic music reading, or some basic info about beginner Classical guitar use. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed explanation of technique). Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music in his free book, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of the 4 beginner approaches I've examined, but they all offer something unique and valuable. I use Noad and the classes here, supplemented with articles/videos from thisisclassicalguitar.
Thanks. I will be signing up to the forums lessons and will also track down a copy of Noad to have a look see. The problem is sorting the chaff from the wheat given the quantity of guitar material on the net so your reply is very helpful. Have you had any face to face tuition to supplement your approach?

singlechange

Post by singlechange » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:03 pm

Well done retiring from work and choosing to actually play the classical guitar. Deciding on which guitar to pick and acquire is one of life's greatest pleasures. There are a lot of beginners here who can give you the support and encouragement and help. Andy, welcome to the forum.

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:06 pm

AndyLamble wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:58 pm
Have you had any face to face tuition to supplement your approach?
Very little. At some point I may go for more. At least an evaluation of where I stand and how I'm doing. But I watch a lot of video and think I'm progressing well/properly. The classes here at least have other players (some of them experienced) checking your video, if you submit via video. The guy at thisisclassicalguitar can also video check you (for a fee)...you can have a live Skype class with him, or you can submit a video, he'll look at it when convenient for him, then give you a video reply showing what he thinks you should be doing.

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:14 am

I do like self teaching. I get to go at my own pace. Sometimes I fly through some material, and move on to more interesting stuff. Other times I'm busy and my progress is slow but steady,

Return to “Introduce yourself”