Hello From Down Under

grahamburwood

Hello From Down Under

Post by grahamburwood » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:53 am

Hello all,

I'm a new member from Perth, Western Australia.

I have a general interest in guitars (mostly acoustic) and have a collection of steel and nylon strung guitars, including some vintage classical guitars. I haven't been classically trained but I do enjoy finger-style playing on a classical guitar. I am also interested in learning some basic luthery techniques so that I can maintain (or even refurbish) some of my vintage guitars.

Looking forward to chatting with members with similar interests.

Graham Burwood

oski79

Re: Hello From Down Under

Post by oski79 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:21 am

Welcome to Delcamp!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this page for a good rundown on how the forum works, rules, history, etc. You have found a great source of classical guitar knowledge, as we have a wide assortment of members, from beginners to performing artists, with a number of fine teachers, historians, and luthiers. So feel free to ask any questions you might have, but consider using the search function first, as many topics have already been discussed at length.

If you participate in other online forums, you might notice that things can occasionally get heated. We work hard to keep that from happening on Delcamp. Please read Mssr. Delcamp’s thoughts on the subject.

Please note that there is a requirement to post an average of once a month. Members not meeting this standard may have their memberships terminated.

Adding your location to your profile is a nice touch. Many of us have made new friends from doing just that.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:39 am

Hi Graham

Welcome to the forum.

Regards
Peter (Sydney)

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:38 am

Hi Graham, welcome to delcamp. If you aren't already familiar with anzlf.com (Australia New Zealand Luthiers forum) it is definitely worth a look. I am pretty sure there are a couple of members from Perth there which might be helpful in the context.

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jason Kulas » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:20 pm

Welcome! If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

The classes here don't seem to teach basic music reading, or some basic info about beginner Classical guitar use. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed explanation of technique). Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music in his free book, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of all the beginner approaches I've looked at, but they all offer something unique and valuable, and all have their fans.
Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Return to “Introduce yourself”