Hello from Washington State

AKim

Hello from Washington State

Post by AKim » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:01 pm

Hello all and thank you for allowing me to join the forum!

My name is AKim, and I live in the upper left hand corner of Washington.

I started out on classical violin when I was 6, and my primary training is classical orchestral and ensemble. But I didn’t really like violin. I got my first guitar when I was 13, a cheap rental that my parents eventually bought for me. Might have been a Franciscan, thick chunky neck and horrible intonation. But it was all mine, and I was obsessed with learning guitar. My first teacher only taught folk guitar, but she loaned me a two volume Noad book, and since I had a solid understanding of music, I worked my way through both volumes. There were no classical guitar teachers in my little town, and my mother preferred that I continue with violin, not guitar anyway. I started studying electric blues guitar when I was 16, eventually spent a couple years as a secondary music ed major in college before I dropped out. There was a sizable block of years where I was busy raising two babies, and music kind of took a back burner.

Ten years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a classical guitar that belonged to a friend who had passed away. It is a José Ramirez 4E from 2002. And so I started playing classical again, but it’s been on and off over the past decade due to the time constraints of owning a business and the physical demands of being a pro gardener. But this year I decided that things needed to change, and I am trying to spend at least an hour a day practicing. I’ll never reach a serious level at this point, but I enjoy the discipline, and it makes me a better fingerstyle acoustic player.

I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you and having the chance to iron out some of the more challenging parts that come from being self-taught.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Hello from Washington State

Post by GeoffB » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:04 pm

Hello AKim,

Welcome to the forum! Please have a look at this page for some useful information to get you started, including links to the rules and helpfiles. After your second message has been approved, you will have access to all members' scores and recordings plus the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. After you have posted 20 messages, you can apply for the 020 group, which will give you access to the remaining levels. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 am

Akim, you are invited to come check out the Northwest Classical Guitar Society if you are in the neighborhood.
Third Tuesday every month.
PM me for more info.
Steve

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jason Kulas » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 am

Welcome. If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

If you want additional explanatory/reference/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/
Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 am

Akim, if Blaine is what you mean by upper left, then you’ll be pleased to know there are at least two classical guitar enthusiasts in your neighborhood, one of whom is an accomplished luthier as well (whom you’ve heard from already), and many many more way down south in BHam.

Welcome to the forum.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

AKim

Post by AKim » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 am

Not quite that far up...just in Bham...and honestly freezing my tail off today! I guess we aren’t getting out of winter without some winter this year!
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 am
Akim, if Blaine is what you mean by upper left, then you’ll be pleased to know there are at least two classical guitar enthusiasts in your neighborhood, one of whom is an accomplished luthier as well (whom you’ve heard from already), and many many more way down south in BHam.

Welcome to the forum.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 pm

AKim wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 am
Not quite that far up...just in Bham...and honestly freezing my tail off today! I guess we aren’t getting out of winter without some winter this year!
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 am

Welcome to the forum.
Yes we were on a roll there until this week. Tulips starting to pop out. As my luthier would say, be sure to humifdify your guitar during these cold dry days!

Maybe we’ll see you at one of our NWCGS meetings. Old Fairhaven library third tuesdays. 7:00.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Playmore19

Post by Playmore19 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:15 am

Greetings Akim,
From another fellow Washingtononian - down near Olympia. Reading your story resonated with me, and quite amazingly paralleled many others that I’ve read on this site. I don’t have the benefit of early music ed or training - no formal lessons until age 30 or so. But guitar has been my instrument since a teenager. Wish I had the gift of sight reading and maybe talent, though I must make up for it (partially) in ear training, improv, and the sheer delight in just playing the instrument. I have to rely heavily on muscle memory, and after dry spells of practicing, I struggle to get back any level of proficiency playing a piece. So I hit plateau’s all the time, though it doesn’t discourage me from plodding through.....I think this website will be a great source of encouragement, ideas and inspiration. Hope it helps you on your journey as well.

Return to “Introduce yourself”