Hi from the UK

howesda

Hi from the UK

Post by howesda » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi

I'm a self taught guitarist and have played ( almost exclusively to an audience of zero people ) for about 40 years. For the majority of this time I've played rock and blues and had one or two Classical pieces that I could stumble through if my Mum wanted to here something "with a tune". I've just started playing Classical guitar and am starting the pain of learning to read music. I've just joined a local group of guitarists who hope to learn some ensemble pieces. I'm excited by this as I really enjoy making music with other people but have got a bit bored of jam sessions - I haven't been able to find one that interests me musically that is at a level that I could keep up with.

I've just bought a second hand classical guitar from e - b a y - the nut fell off immediately so I'll be getting my glue out later on. Not withstanding the loose nut I'm enjoying the sound it makes and realising thatI've got a significant amount of re-learning to do.

Dave

Erik Zurcher

Re: Hi from the UK

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Hello Dave and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

- Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

- After posting 20 messages, please subscribe to the 020 group. It allows you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and finally type your town and state, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:44 pm

howesda wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:50 pm
... the nut fell off immediately so I'll be getting my glue out later on. ...
Welcome on board. On classical guitars, it is perfectly normal for the nut not to be glued. It is not considered a problem. It makes it much easier to make adjustments. If you do decide to glue it, only put the very tiniest little spot of glue.

howesda

Post by howesda » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:32 pm

Thanks for letting me know Simonm - I'll persevere without glue for a while and see how it goes.

Jason Kulas

Post by Jason Kulas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Welcome. If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

The classes here don't seem to teach basic music reading, or some basic info about beginner Classical guitar use. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed explanation of technique). Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music in his free book, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of all the beginner approaches I've looked at, but they all offer something unique and valuable, and all have their fans.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Return to “Introduce yourself”