Hello from Perth, WA

Zenm17

Hello from Perth, WA

Post by Zenm17 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:14 pm

I am a late starter (knocking on the door - very loudly now - of 50 yrs old), but have always wanted to play. I had some lessons when I was a teenager, but it didn't take. This time round I am 2 years in as a 'youtube taught' player, and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I had some extended leave and put it to good use. I wanted to hit retirement in a few years with some proficiency already. I see myself playing (and maybe even making guitars down south west of Western Australia, by the beach somewhere (one can dream). I like to tackle fingerstyle arrangements of popular tunes and (suitably straightforward) arrangements of classical repertoire.

CathyCate

Re: Hello from Perth, WA

Post by CathyCate » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

You need a second post to have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, to all members' scores and levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and to be able post your own scores and recordings. After more posts you may apply for access to some higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library (see here).

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile. To do this click on the User Control Panel at the upper left, then the Profile tab, then enter the information.

Perhaps you have discovered it already? Bill Tye has a wonderful website:Guitar from Down Under. It has many playable fingerstyle tunes available for free downloads. TAB versions are included if you are still keeping one foot in both worlds. Enjoy! :chitarrista:

Have fun! and welcome to Delcamp forum!
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Re: Hello from Perth, WA

Post by Jason Kulas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Welcome. If you're interested, there are free Classical lessons here. You can get feedback on your progress from other players. If you take all the courses, it's the equivalent of 6yrs of music school. If you take the optional final exams, apparently it has official status in France, and would count towards your entrance requirements if you were to apply to study music there. The forum for the classes is: viewforum.php?f=41 . The post about registering is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . And the FAQ about the course is: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687

The classes here don't seem to teach music reading, or some fundamental principles of Classical guitar playing. You may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial/video material. I have my favorites, but I'm guessing you already have yours, since you've been haunting YouTube for a while.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Return to “Introduce yourself”