US $11000 Manuel Velazquez spruce 1968, Philadelphia PA

This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Forum rules
This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument (electric, electro-acoustic, etc.) or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves. Business sales from dealers or ads on behalf of other people are not allowed.
New members may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $500.
Members of the 020 group may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $15000.
Members who have made at least 60 posts, who have been registered for at least 6 months and who make frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions, may advertise up to 3 instruments at a time, without price limitation.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
The maximum number of ads that may be posted is 3 per year (i.e. in any 12-month period).

Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Do not give your phone number or your email address except via private message.

Please set out your ad in the following format:
- Type / luthier: (classical, flamenco, lute, baroque, romantic)
- Year of construction:
- Scale length (mm):
- Nut width (mm):
- Top:
- Bracing (fan/lattice/other):
- Back / Sides:
- Fingerboard / (bridge):
- Sound:
- Condition:
- Price:
- Viewing / trial possible:
- Location (nearest city):

In particular please indicate a starting price as well as a location or locations where it is possible to try out the instrument. The above template covers the most essential details, but sellers should of course provide further information in their ad on any special features.

Title format for your ad:
COUNTRY price(as 5 characters) Luthier model wood(soundboard) year, City/Town-of-sale
For example:
LK $..200 Yamaha G70A spruce 1969, Colombo
($..200 = $200), dots are inserted to bring all prices to 5 characters, allowing the use of an ascending sort by subject via the sort menu at the bottom of the page to display ads in order of country and price.
Country codes may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1
Capital letters are restricted to the initial letters of proper names.

Ads are moved to the archives as soon as the guitar is sold, or when they have had no response for more than one year. A message can be edited by its author for the first 21 days after posting, after which it is necessary to ask a moderator to make any changes.

Please do not denigrate a guitar for sale or the luthier who made it. Moderators will remove such messages. Whether or not the sale should proceed is entirely up to the parties involved.

Members who buy an instrument unseen do so at their own risk and should exercise due caution. For added security, it is advisable to use a licensed online escrow service (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow).

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) means that some materials used in guitars, although formerly allowed, may now require permits or be illegal to sell across national borders, or even locally in some places. It is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws in their respective countries.
riffmeister

Re: US $11000 Manuel Velazquez spruce 1968, Philadelphia PA

Post by riffmeister » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Arduous wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:24 am
I had an 80's Velazquez. Very good guitar.

Just out of curiosity, didn't Velazquez have a period sometime in the 80's when he was making guitars out or Puerto Rico?
Don't know the exact years, but it was in the 1970s that Manuel returned to his homeland of Puerto Rico for approximately 10 years. His guitars had a slightly different body shape/size during those years. When he returned to the US, he took residence in Virginia.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:55 pm

More pics in different light.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:08 pm

back & side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kent

Post by Kent » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:19 pm

The 50th anniversary, also known as the golden anniversary, is a milestone to be celebrated – and rightly so!

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Kent wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:19 pm
The 50th anniversary, also known as the golden anniversary, is a milestone to be celebrated – and rightly so!

Yes! The half-century mark for this guitar! It might actually be in better shape than me! :lol:

Benrick

Post by Benrick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:13 am

That is an absolutely beautiful guitar! I can't find any good reference on how MVs guitar differ over the 50, 60s, 70s,....and the special orders in the 90s to 2000s. Do you have any good insights into this, as I know you own some from each building phase. Are the 50s and 60s more prized for their age, build, or sound? Lastly, do you think cracks are inevitable in these older guitars or if "it go this far" it is likely to stay in good shape?
Thanks

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:43 pm

I got to play a 70's MV, also Spruce BRW. Just had that gorgeous, alluring tone that you'll probably only find on guitars made by true master builders.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Benrick wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:13 am
That is an absolutely beautiful guitar! I can't find any good reference on how MVs guitar differ over the 50, 60s, 70s,....and the special orders in the 90s to 2000s. Do you have any good insights into this, as I know you own some from each building phase. Are the 50s and 60s more prized for their age, build, or sound? Lastly, do you think cracks are inevitable in these older guitars or if "it go this far" it is likely to stay in good shape?
Thanks
Regarding the condition, I think as long as one keeps theses older guitars (or any guitar, for that matter) within normal humidity ranges at reasonable temperatures (and of course no drops or el kabongs! :lol:) there is no reason for them to crack. Regarding the different "building eras" of Maestro Velazquez, there seems to have been a gradual evolution with the 50's guitars closely resembling the guitars of Hauser I, the 60's guitars saw some slight changes in body size and based on my limited sampling a slight change in sound to be a bit richer/warmer, the 70's guitars with their slightly larger/rounder body, slightly different bridge, addition of a small diagonal treble bar in the bracing of the soundboard, and elongated headstock, then a move back to a body size/shape in the 80's more resembling the late 60's guitars but retaining the slightly different bridge and treble bar, and the 90's and beyond building with some different back/sides woods and also a number of smaller "Torres style" guitars. Of course, no two Velazquez guitars are exactly alike, but every Velazquez guitar I have played I hear a bit of his trademark sound which, to me, is an evenness of volume across strings and up the neck, a "balanced" sound if you will....basses never overpower the trebles and vice-versa. Also "balanced" timbre-wise with a pleasing blend of warmth and clarity.

singlechange

Post by singlechange » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 am

This is one of those guitars that become available once in a while....fantastic builder, you are guaranteed it has that mojo sound and playability, with no doubt whatsoever about its condition, owned by a Velazquez collector and player and respected forum member. I doubt it gets any better for a prospective buyer.
Earlier in the year I went looking seriously for a previously owned Velazquez in spruce and found nothing even close to what riffmeister is now offering and acquired something else. Robert A.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 pm

singlechange wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 am
This is one of those guitars that become available once in a while....fantastic builder, you are guaranteed it has that mojo sound and playability, with no doubt whatsoever about its condition, owned by a Velazquez collector and player and respected forum member. I doubt it gets any better for a prospective buyer.
Earlier in the year I went looking seriously for a previously owned Velazquez in spruce and found nothing even close to what riffmeister is now offering and acquired something else. Robert A.
Thanks for the kind words, Robert.

Return to “Classical Guitar for Sale”