JP $.5000 Stephen Faulk Spruce/ Persimmon 2018, Near Kagoshima City

This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Forum rules
This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument (electric, electro-acoustic, etc.) or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves. Business sales from dealers or ads on behalf of other people are not allowed.
New members may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $500.
Members of the 020 group may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $15000.
Members who have made at least 60 posts, who have been registered for at least 6 months and who make frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions, may advertise up to 3 instruments at a time, without price limitation.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
The maximum number of ads that may be posted is 3 per year (i.e. in any 12-month period).

Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Do not give your phone number or your email address except via private message.

Please set out your ad in the following format:
- Type / luthier: (classical, flamenco, lute, baroque, romantic)
- Year of construction:
- Scale length (mm):
- Nut width (mm):
- Top:
- Bracing (fan/lattice/other):
- Back / Sides:
- Fingerboard / (bridge):
- Sound:
- Condition:
- Price:
- Viewing / trial possible:
- Location (nearest city):

In particular please indicate a starting price as well as a location or locations where it is possible to try out the instrument. The above template covers the most essential details, but sellers should of course provide further information in their ad on any special features.

Title format for your ad:
COUNTRY price(as 5 characters) Luthier model wood(soundboard) year, City/Town-of-sale
For example:
LK $..200 Yamaha G70A spruce 1969, Colombo
($..200 = $200), dots are inserted to bring all prices to 5 characters, allowing the use of an ascending sort by subject via the sort menu at the bottom of the page to display ads in order of country and price.
Country codes may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1
Capital letters are restricted to the initial letters of proper names.

Ads are moved to the archives as soon as the guitar is sold, or when they have had no response for more than one year. A message can be edited by its author for the first 21 days after posting, after which it is necessary to ask a moderator to make any changes.

Please do not denigrate a guitar for sale or the luthier who made it. Moderators will remove such messages. Whether or not the sale should proceed is entirely up to the parties involved.

Members who buy an instrument unseen do so at their own risk and should exercise due caution. For added security, it is advisable to use a licensed online escrow service (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow).

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) means that some materials used in guitars, although formerly allowed, may now require permits or be illegal to sell across national borders, or even locally in some places. It is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws in their respective countries.
Stephen Faulk

JP $.5000 Stephen Faulk Spruce/ Persimmon 2018, Near Kagoshima City

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:44 am

IMG_20181210_170639.jpg
IMG_20181210_170940.jpg
Classical Stephen Faulk - New

Scale 650
Nut 52 mm
Top Spruce
Parabolic fan brace - 7
Back Sides - Japan Black Persimmon
Fingerboard Ebony - Bridge Persimmon

Sound is more on the chord side than string separation side. Clean open, and round sound.

New
$5000.00
Near Kagoshima City Japan

-
30708033_2010378302613693_2565876462317880246_n.jpg
IMG_20180305_182923.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Stephen Faulk

Re: JP $.5000 Stephen Faulk Spruce/ Persimmon 2018, Near Kagoshima City

Post by Stephen Faulk » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 am

DSCF5916.jpg
DSCF5944.jpg
DSCF5952.jpg
DSCF5965.jpg
DSCF5988.jpg

New pictures of this guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:04 am

The solo is being played on this guitar-

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:21 am

There might be more video coming in the next two weeks with both a classical player demonstrating classical rep. and more Fumikazu playing bossa nova stuff. Stay tuned.

If anyone is interested in this guitar I'm a little flexible on price if you have an offer. I'm always a little flexible on most of my work, especially for working musicians.
DSCF5974.jpg
DSCF5981.jpg
DSCF6170.jpg
DSCF6190.jpg

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:36 am

This wood was taken from an old tansu chest. It's rare to find persimmon with long defined striations of dark and light wood. In Japan these pieces are highly prized and expensive. People will tell you persimmon is common and used in golf clubs, and that's true, but this kind of striation is fairly rare and the trees are smaller today because most old persimmon has been cut down. This isn't wood you'll see very often if at all. There are pinholes in the wood that have been filled with black epoxy and ebony dust. It can't be helped, and I see it as part of the charm of the whole guitar. The ribs are doubled, the inside laminate is Hinoki, so there's no fear of any of the pinholes causing issues.

The tail dart was arrived at because I had to do something that didn't visually favor dark or light wood, the Cocobolo binding seems to stay out of the way. Likewise I didn't put side purfling to it because the back and sides have so much going on I thought it would tart it up too much.

Comments from Japanese players have been that the neck is wide. For me it's not a problem, but I'm happy to trim the neck profile down for anyone who purchases it if that is a problem. If you're serious and we get to that point we'll have a very detailed conversation about neck profile. Otherwise the nut is 52 mm and the neck width is 63 mm at the 12th fret. In Japan that's bigger than normal, from what dealers tell me, but what do they know. A nut at 52 mm seems normal as an international standard.

I'll also make this style guitar in any other woods you like. It's my own design with parabolic fans aiming at a more 'German' than 'Spanish' sound. I'm still working with it and open to suggestions from anyone who wants to commission this model.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:16 am

Beautiful guitar, Stephen. Persimmon has always been an interest although the set I have is about 10% as gorgeous as the one you used. Looks awesome.
CE Sobel Guitars

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 am

Stunning Stephan.

Love the persimmon.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT: Flesh

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:04 am

Chris Sobel wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:16 am
Beautiful guitar, Stephen. Persimmon has always been an interest although the set I have is about 10% as gorgeous as the one you used. Looks awesome.
Thank you. Where are you based? If you are interested and it would make your persimmon back more dramatic I have a few staves of the white color wood that you can have it you pay for shipping. Let me know and PM me if you are interested.

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:06 am

Christopher Langley wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 am
Stunning Stephan.

Love the persimmon.
Thank you. If you buy it I'll throw in a crate of actual sweet eating persimmons!

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:33 pm

Very beautiful! Extremely well executed multi-piece back (how many?) What is the finish? Wood species for the neck? Fretwire dimensions?

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:49 am

fretwire.JPG

Thank you. It's French Polish, the neck is flamed or lightly figured Cuban Cedar. You see a lighter color wood in the heel and a small block of black persimmon near the heel cap. The frets...I've been using this fretwire, but I'll use any fret wire that a customer wants. I can adapt.

The Persimmon seems to be a bit similar to Malaysian Black wood, I think they may be related. This one is Diosporus Kaki, but there are few variants of persimmon trees locally, I don't know which one it is. The wood came from a tansu chest that was 90 years old, but was no longer in 'inside the house condition'. I hope I did the wood a favor by giving it new purpose.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:51 am

Beautiful

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:42 am

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:04 am
Chris Sobel wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:16 am
Thank you. Where are you based? If you are interested and it would make your persimmon back more dramatic I have a few staves of the white color wood that you can have it you pay for shipping. Let me know and PM me if you are interested.
Hi Stephen,

That is a very generous offer, thank you. I'll send you a PM when I'm back from vacation and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks,

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:44 am

Ok

Return to “Classical Guitar for Sale”