US $.1200 OBO Jin-Ichiro Matsunaga model 20 spruce 1977, Mississauga, Canada

This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Forum rules
This section is for the use of fully participating members of the forum.
Ads are accepted only for classical, Renaissance, baroque or flamenco guitars, theorbos, ukuleles or lutes.
Ads for any other type of instrument (electric, electro-acoustic, etc.) or equipment will be removed.
Members may only sell their own instruments or instruments they have built themselves. Business sales from dealers or ads on behalf of other people are not allowed.
New members may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $500.
Members of the 020 group may advertise one instrument only at any one time, with a maximum value of $15000.
Members who have made at least 60 posts, who have been registered for at least 6 months and who make frequent helpful contributions to forum discussions, may advertise up to 3 instruments at a time, without price limitation.
If you are selling more than one instrument, a separate post for each instrument is required.
The maximum number of ads that may be posted is 3 per year (i.e. in any 12-month period).

Failure to respect these conditions will result in the removal of the ads and in flagrant cases the account of the member may be removed without warning.
Do not give your phone number or your email address except via private message.

Please set out your ad in the following format:
- Type / luthier: (classical, flamenco, lute, baroque, romantic)
- Year of construction:
- Scale length (mm):
- Nut width (mm):
- Top:
- Bracing (fan/lattice/other):
- Back / Sides:
- Fingerboard / (bridge):
- Sound:
- Condition:
- Price:
- Viewing / trial possible:
- Location (nearest city):

In particular please indicate a starting price as well as a location or locations where it is possible to try out the instrument. The above template covers the most essential details, but sellers should of course provide further information in their ad on any special features.

Title format for your ad:
COUNTRY price(as 5 characters) Luthier model wood(soundboard) year, City/Town-of-sale
For example:
LK $..200 Yamaha G70A spruce 1969, Colombo
($..200 = $200), dots are inserted to bring all prices to 5 characters, allowing the use of an ascending sort by subject via the sort menu at the bottom of the page to display ads in order of country and price.
Country codes may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1
Capital letters are restricted to the initial letters of proper names.

Ads are moved to the archives as soon as the guitar is sold, or when they have had no response for more than one year. A message can be edited by its author for the first 21 days after posting, after which it is necessary to ask a moderator to make any changes.

Please do not denigrate a guitar for sale or the luthier who made it. Moderators will remove such messages. Whether or not the sale should proceed is entirely up to the parties involved.

Members who buy an instrument unseen do so at their own risk and should exercise due caution. For added security, it is advisable to use a licensed online escrow service (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow).

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) means that some materials used in guitars, although formerly allowed, may now require permits or be illegal to sell across national borders, or even locally in some places. It is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws in their respective countries.
spronev

US $.1200 OBO Jin-Ichiro Matsunaga model 20 spruce 1977, Mississauga, Canada

Post by spronev » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:41 pm

1977 Jin-Ichiro Matsunaga model 20 Classical Guitar
Solid Spruce Top
Solid Indian Rosewood Back and Sides
Bone Nut (52 mm) and Bone Saddle
660mm Scale Length

Jin-Ichiro Matsunaga was a Japanese luthier who made guitars in the 1970s and they were very high quality instruments selling for very high prices (same as the most famous luthiers in Japan at that time). Unlike the famous luthiers who made hundreds of guitars each year, he made a small number only in a small shop with very little help from others. His guitars come out for sale no more than a couple of times each year and command high selling prices. This model 20 guitar cost 200,000 yen in 1977 which is the same as Kohno model 20 and Yamaha GC-20 (both of which had solid Brazilian rosewood back and sides). If Jin-Ichiro Matsunaga was able to get away with having solid Indian rosewood on his guitar and still selling it at the same price as the other two (who were more famous), his guitar must have had a better sound. And that it certainly has!

Jin-Ichiro Matsunaga used his own custom-made rosettes which you will not find on any other guitar other than his own. The green purfling adds a very nice touch to the outline of the top as well. The headstock is also custom and original with the shape reminiscent of that of Miguel Rodriguez guitars from the same time. The frets are in good shape. The fretboard has a bit of wear in a few spots but other than that is in great condition and allows for perfect playability. The guitar has finish applied on the inside on the back and sides which makes for a very clean interior. Add to that the perfectly scalloped braces and you have a truly professional instrument.

The construction of this guitar uses some of the bracing introduced by Kohno in the 1970s (6 parallel braces) coupled with more traditional Spanish construction (such as having a bridge patch instead of a brace under the bridge). The result is an instrument that has the sound balance of a Kohno coupled with the sweetness and depth of sound you would find in a traditional Spanish instrument from the same time. It has a truly wonderful deep sound that cannot be found in guitars made today at 5 times this price.

The condition of the guitar is very good with only a few very small marks on the top, some of which I have tried showing in the last two photos. The finish is in great condition. The guitar has no cracks or repairs. The action is set at 3.0 mm on the 1st string and 4.4 mm on the 6th string at the 12th fret. The saddle sticks out about 1.7 mm on the treble side and about 2.2 mm on the bass side.

The guitar will come with a set of D’Addario EJ-43 nylon strings. These are among the most generic nylon strings available and allow the guitar to bring out its voice without coloring it. This guitar does not need carbon strings to sound great. It has more than enough volume and clarity with the most basic nylon strings.

For a sound sample please see the youtube video below.

Here is what you get when you buy a guitar from me. I have been playing classical guitar since I was a kid and continue to play actively on a daily basis. As a result every guitar I sell has a video that showcases its sound recorded with decent microphones. Every guitar I buy goes through thorough cleaning and setup to ensure its playability is up to my standard. Adjustments are made to the nut and saddle or new ones made depending on their condition, the frets are levelled, crowned and polished and the fingerboard is conditioned, new strings are installed, and sometimes other adjustments are made as required. It does take time to do these things (several hours in fact) but as a result the guitars I sell are playable right out of the case even though some are 40-50 years old.

I will only accept PayPal for payment. I will ship to Canada and the Continental United States. The guitar will be shipped well packed with strings loosened in its original hard shell case in usable condition. The case is old with no monetary value but all the latches work and it closes well. I have bought and sold a long list of classical guitars over the years, so buy with confidence.

Shipping: $80 USD (Canada Post: 4-6 Business Days)

Price drop to $1200 - 15 Jan 19
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by spronev on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spronev

Re: US $.1400 Jin-Ichiro Matsunaga model 20 spruce 1977, Mississauga, Canada

Post by spronev » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:41 pm

A few more photos...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 am

Beautiful sound guitar. I wish I can have it.
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

spronev

Post by spronev » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:17 pm

keithwwk wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 am
I sent you a PM.

Svilen

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:57 pm

spronev wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:17 pm
keithwwk wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 am
I sent you a PM.

Svilen
Got it Svilen. Appreciated! :)
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Esteve Mod 1.4ST Spruce 2003
Ryoji Matsuoka M20 Cedar 1978
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

spronev

Re: US $.1200 OBO Jin-Ichiro Matsunaga model 20 spruce 1977, Mississauga, Canada

Post by spronev » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Price drop to $1200 USD plus shipping.

Moderators, please adjust the title of the thread.

Svilen

Return to “Classical Guitar for Sale”