Contemporary music-"Groundbreaking" pieces

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Kjetil Heggelund

Contemporary music-"Groundbreaking" pieces

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:47 pm

Hello there people!
I'm always on the lookout for new music for guitar. So I ask you nice people: Which new pieces do you regard as groundbreaking or seminal, that were written in the last 50 years. Any music with classical guitar! If you're VERY nice, please be specific to the nationality of the composer too.

best wishes from a beautiful, sunny winter day in Norway.
Kjetil.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

zzzsegundaepoca

Re: Contemporary music-"Groundbreaking" pieces

Post by zzzsegundaepoca » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:35 pm

William Walton’s Five Bagatelles. Very well-known now, but still feels modern and fresh.

zzzsegundaepoca

Post by zzzsegundaepoca » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:36 pm

And just about anything written or arranged by Roland Dyens—he is pretty-well appreciated, but still not enough. A true genius, visionary.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Britten's Nocturnal op70 is just outside you cutoff, but retains a contemporary feel and was certainly groundbreaking.

Then pretty much anything by Leo Brouwer.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:34 am

Michael Tippett's "Blue Guitar" seems to be rarely mentioned but it is well worth a look - it is perhaps a little uneven (especially the middle movement) but some sections are very evocative, and there are performances on YouTube. Tippett and Britten were rough contemporaries though Tippett was approx 8 yrs older. In some ways Tippett was the more interesting composer (at least for me) though, of course, I love some of Britten's music (less keen on some of the later operas though).
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:13 am

Are you hoping for different answers from the last time you asked for suggestions of contemporary pieces? Because, I'm seeing the same old stuff here (although the posters might be new!). :wink:

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:53 pm

Groundbreaking: check out Castilla-Ávila, Augustin. You can find some of his works played on Youtube.
Other composers of our time who are doing something you could call groundbreaking:
Per Dybro Sørensen (Danish), Matthew Frandsen (Danish), Loïc Destremau (Danish), Paul-Erik Söderqvist (Swedish), Dominik Johannes Dieterle (German), Tan Tuan Hao (Danish), and Florian Pallier (Austrian). They all expand the boundaries of the classical guitar repertoire.

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Colette Mourey (French) has invented the “hypertonalité” Innovative music system based on spiraliques scales. She has written a lot for the guitar.

Salvo

Post by Salvo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:29 pm

bergmann wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:53 pm
Groundbreaking: check out Castilla-Ávila, Augustin. You can find some of his works played on Youtube.
Quite nice ... but not really that groundbreaking. Leo Brouwer did exactly the same stuff back in the 80's - prepared guitars, "minimalist" re-iterations, etc. It is very difficult today to get anything really groundbreaking in music.

Personally, I would call Christophe Dejour's transcription of Bartok's solo violin sonata really groundbreaking, even though the original music was written more than 70 years ago. The very act of bringing such music to the guitar is a bold statement towards a richer guitar experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qml00C5x0wg[/YouTube]

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:46 pm

OK! Thank-you for all replies :-) This time I'm hoping to hear about not just solo guitar pieces, but all major pieces including guitar. F.ex. the guitar quartet by Georg Friedrich Haas. Also the composers don't need to have written several pieces with guitar. When a famous composer writes for guitar it can be groundbreaking...
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Return to “Reference Library”