Harmony on Guitar

Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Forum rules
Post here only items useful for reference purposes.
Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Re: Harmony on Guitar

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:12 am
I wrote a book called Introduction to Harmony for Guitar with TAB. It covers scales, intervals and chords. It's for the studio guitarist who needs an intro to this stuff. It's published by the largest guitar publisher in the world (no commercial links, right?) gut you can google it. You can also see it on my website.

Lare
Dr. McDonald. I realize I'm responding to a really old post, but I'm looking for an intro-level music theory book. I found your post (above) and your book may be just what I'm looking for. Does this book also address "elementary-level" composition?

Thanks,
1989 Takamine C132S, D'Addario Pro-Arté (BNH-3T, SNN-3B) strings

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi,
Sorry, there is no composition in my book. It's a introductory workbook to prepare for theory classes.

Theory and composition approach music content from different perspectives. In music theory, we look to see how different musics are the same, a "top-down drilling for patterns". Whereas in composition we look to see how we can be different, or a bottom-up organic growth from a germinal gesture. They are inverted philosophically, and, for the most part, I often teach them in the opposite order.

All the best,
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:20 pm
Hi,
Sorry, there is no composition in my book. It's a introductory workbook to prepare for theory classes.

Theory and composition approach music content from different perspectives. In music theory, we look to see how different musics are the same, a "top-down drilling for patterns". Whereas in composition we look to see how we can be different, or a bottom-up organic growth from a germinal gesture. They are inverted philosophically, and, for the most part, I often teach them in the opposite order.

All the best,
Lare
Thanks for the response and clarification. Top-down versus bottom-up explanation makes perfect sense too.
1989 Takamine C132S, D'Addario Pro-Arté (BNH-3T, SNN-3B) strings

escasou

Post by escasou » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi. "Harmony for Guitar" by Lance Bosman can be very helpful. Regards.

richard3

Post by richard3 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Fellow Guitar book by Thomas Fellow , only in german. Schott Music. ISBN: 978-3-7957-5954-4
Very good in harmony in different styles, Jazz, classical, south amarican, 280 pages , a lot of exercises.

crazyrach97

Post by crazyrach97 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:47 am

I really like McFadden's book. I don't agree with his approach to scales, I mean the whole scale cell thing just seems like the long way around. But most of the rest I think is really well done.

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Just wanted to comment as well on the Nelson Faria's book as well. It's really well done and extremely detailed. It's the next best thing to being in Brazil.

"A good book for you would be "The Brazilian Guitar Book - Samba, Bossa Nova and other Brazilian Styles" by Nelson Faria."

Return to “Reference Library”