Isbin, Gilbert - Tombeau for Erik Satie for 10-string guitar, Yepes Tuning

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
RobMacKillop

Isbin, Gilbert - Tombeau for Erik Satie for 10-string guitar, Yepes Tuning

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:20 pm

I've had this Juan Hernandez guitar for less than a week, so am still getting used to it. It's now at 415 pitch. I might reach 440 tomorrow when a set of super-low tension strings arrive from Hannabach. We shall see.

Gilbert Isbin has written me twelve compositions for the 10-string in Yepes' tuning. This is the first one I have started work on. I hope you like it. It's not a pastiche of Satie's work, but there is a feel of the Gymnopedies throughout. But being a tombeau - a funeral lament- there are some spiky dissonance in there too. This was the first piece Gilbert composed for ten strings.

mcote

Re: Isbin, Gilbert - Tombeau for Erik Satie for 10-string guitar, Yepes Tuning

Post by mcote » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:57 pm

Very interesting piece, beautifully played. Thanks!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:07 am

Cheers, mcote.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Nicely done, congratulations to you and Gilbert for making a substantial contribution to the mid-grade 10-string literature. It's sorely needed; most students won't grasp on to 10-string compositions by (for example) Ohana or Madera very graciously.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Exactly, David. Apart from very virtuosic things, there are a lot of what we might disparagingly refer to as New Age Doodles among the 10-string repertoire. I prefer real compositions, tightly constructed, by composers who have honed their craft, yet which are playable by ordinary mortals. Even when Gilbert gets far out in terms of harmony, it is always playable. And he always has a melodic sense, and - something I enjoy, if that's the right word - a melancholy vibe to many of his works.

I don't regard myself as a virtuoso, and would never pretend to be one, but that doesn't mean I should be left to play music which is compositionally poor. If I can learn this piece in three days, it shouldn't be beyond most intermediate-level players. I'm sure we'll get them published somehow.

Michele Franceschini
Student of the online lessons

Post by Michele Franceschini » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks for posting your recordings Rob. I've been a subscriber of your youtube channel(s) for a long time and I'm always happy when you upload a new video.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:52 am

Thank you, Michele. Nice to hear from you.

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 am

Pleasant piece!
And your guitar sounds very even through my monitors - v nice!

If you get these pieces published I guess some editorial suggestions for alternative octaves or voicings for 6 string guitar and other guitars (eg 11 string alto) might be an idea so to make them playable to as many guitarists & guitar types as possible thereby helping sales?

It's interesting to see you use the 8-10th strings even though I gather these were originally only meant to vibrate sympathetically in Yepes' tuning but I agree it makes sense to use them seeing as they are available to play too.

I know you are well acquainted with all sorts of tunings & lute-like instruments but do you thing the average 6 stringer would initially find using the re-entrant tuning disorientating?! Would it be any more difficult or confusing than step wise tuned low basses?

Have you found the sympathetic resonance of the Yepes tuning especially appealing? Could you see yourself finding a 6 string "lacking" after getting used to the 10 string? Could you then see yourself abandoning the 6 string in the future?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:51 am

Good questions, Conall. In order to answer them properly, I've decided to start a new thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122971

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”