Macpherson, Christina - Waltzing Matilda (arr. Paul Janssen)

Audio and video recordings of contemporary music from 1940 to the present. Our interpretations of works for which the copyright holders have given their permission.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Chobanian, Loris - Maharaja's Fancy - Trio Video
or Pujol, M. D. - Preludio Triston - Video (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
spidersareok

Re: Macpherson, Christina - Waltzing Matilda (arr. Paul Janss

Post by spidersareok » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Very nice playing Paul,thank you for posting your arrangement . :D

spidersareok

Post by spidersareok » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:37 pm

first of all i will say that i am very much a beginner at the classical style of playing guitar but i think you have played this piece excellent and with tons of feeling . . anyway to my point ,i downloaded your arrangement and it is all fine until i get to bar 10 with the stretch from the low G on the low E string to the high B on the top E string did you manage to play this part ok ,i have bigger than average size hands and i struggle with that part but i`m working on it .Ouch

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Spidersareok,

Bar 10 is by far the hardest bar in the piece for me as well. In fact in the recording I posted I actually cheated a little around this bar and ended up just playing the top C 3 times followed by a G chord consisting of the open G string, open B string and high B played on the 7th fret of the high E string. On a good day though, I can usually get Bar 10 the way I've written it but yes it's a stretch. My advice would be to play this bar with a fair bit of rubato and also release the chord just before you play the 3rd high C. Then slide your 4th finger down from the high C (8th fret) to the high B (7th fret) and use your 1st finger for the low G. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Paul

spidersareok

Post by spidersareok » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks for your reply Paul,and thanks for your help regarding how you played the piece at bar 10 ,i thought i could not hear the low G in your recording .
i think once i have the piece memorized and i can look at the neck while playing that particular stretch, then it would be ok.
i have come across that interval before in "Danny Boy (Londonderry Air)" but was harder in Waltzing Matilda because of what comes prior to the stretch ,anyway no damage done yet .

thanks David

kvormwald

Re: Macpherson, Christina - Waltzing Matilda (arr. Paul Janssen)

Post by kvormwald » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks Paul for the arrangement, I'm excited to give it a try tonight!

Ken
"Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “Our recordings of Contemporary music”