Is there any hope to play well at this age?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Sebastian

Re: Is there any hope to play well at this age?

Post by Sebastian » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:49 am

Thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:40 pm
My Dad gave me a guitar when I was in early high school.
I got myself some books and learned all by myself. Every thing by myself without any teacher.
Yes I started 30 years ago , Some times I learned some classical very seriously then I just played some pop songs
some times on classical guitar some times acoustic .

I can see you have some guitar lessons in this site
How to know what level I am and from what lesson should I start?
Depends entirely on your discipline and talent. Best advice is find a professor, Classical guitar is just something it's harder to learn by one's own.
Also! Check YouTube channel ClassicalGuitarShed on hands posture, there are at least 2 or 3 videos, and listen to basic concepts.. even if you know them it's nice to rewatch them oftenly.
You're reading this.

AKim

Post by AKim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:20 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:03 pm

As to where and whether to start the Delcamp online lessons, I’ll share my thoughts. Like you I had a couple years of lessons decades ago and restarted after retirement. I suggest you start with D01 Lesson 1 and start sight reading every exercise and all the piece. You’ll reach a point where you can’t just sight read the piece anymore. Start your study there, or maybe even back up a year.

I started in D03 by this method. I was very late in the year but it was not that challenging for my level so I powered through it. The next year I continued at D04. Now I’m struggling through D07 on the Spanish Forum. The lessons provide great graded repertoire for your level, a constant source of challenge and encouragement, and great comraderie with others like us from around the world.

Good luck!
That’s some great advice on figuring out the Delcamp lessons. I looked at the section and instructions and got completely overwhelmed because I have no idea what level I’m at. I’m in the same boat of picking it all up after many years. The video requirements are a bit intimidating though, due to time constraints.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm

AKim wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:20 pm
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:03 pm

As to where and whether to start the Delcamp online lessons, I’ll share my thoughts. Like you I had a couple years of lessons decades ago and restarted after retirement. I suggest you start with D01 Lesson 1 and start sight reading every exercise and all the piece. You’ll reach a point where you can’t just sight read the piece anymore. Start your study there, or maybe even back up a year.

I started in D03 by this method. I was very late in the year but it was not that challenging for my level so I powered through it. The next year I continued at D04. Now I’m struggling through D07 on the Spanish Forum. The lessons provide great graded repertoire for your level, a constant source of challenge and encouragement, and great comraderie with others like us from around the world.

Good luck!
That’s some great advice on figuring out the Delcamp lessons. I looked at the section and instructions and got completely overwhelmed because I have no idea what level I’m at. I’m in the same boat of picking it all up after many years. The video requirements are a bit intimidating though, due to time constraints.
Ya the videos are tough, time consuming. But invaluable in terms of “performance practice.” It gets easier, and don’t think they always have to be perfect performances.
Some view them a havi g to be polished performances. But I find it takes too long to get anything like a perfect take, so I don’t bother. The feedback from your peers is always positive and sometimes very helpful. The ability to benchmark agains others is better than private lessons in my view. I wish more teachers would chime in but that’s the only issue. After a while you get to know your classmates and look forward to the interaction. Each has their strengths and weaknesses and not the same as yours.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

AKim

Post by AKim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:29 pm

I’m not all that concerned about perfect or criticism. I’m a music ed school dropout, so that’s pretty routine with adjudications and group lessons. It’s just my lack of time to sit down and record and upload. Might have to hold off until I can really commit. Otherwise it’s a very wonderful service being offered!

Jason Kulas
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jason Kulas » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 am

AKim wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:20 pm
The video requirements are a bit intimidating though, due to time constraints.
Just use your cell phone? Or webcam? Also, you're allowed to submit audio only. Get a free voice memo recorder app for your computer/phone. Though if you only ever submit audio, no one can evaluate your form for you. But maybe you don't need that.
Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”