Barrios Allegro Solemne from la catedral

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Salvador

Re: Barrios Allegro Solemne from la catedral

Post by Salvador » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:03 pm

Yes you can but at a slow tempo only. Playing it on "Allegro" it's going to be very hard. Goran Sollscher plays it at a normal tempo (he can play it faster if he wants to). So i think, just play it well and you are all good.

I was 21 when i first played Allegro Solemne and it took me 9 years to play it fast like Denis Azabagic but it's not clean and polished. So it's better to play it a comfortable pace.

Ronald

Post by Ronald » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:36 pm

Wow,
I was not born with an overbite but I just may have one now

Maria Anisimova
Student of the online lessons

Post by Maria Anisimova » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:35 pm

I am on your side and all for it. I suppose, we are approximately the same age and the same level. So let's pull the trick off together. At least trying and working at it will be fun.
Yamaha SLG N100

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:31 pm

I use the Jesus Benites version. It's a nice warm-up although I haven't played it in a few years and never finished learning it. Start very slow with it and work on the rhythmic qualities of it over speed, speed will come after a while naturally. I find playing the opening bars in short speed bursts and then slowing down, etc, helpful.

It's a difficult piece as any fast piece is, but the fingerings are fairly simple.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

johnd

Post by johnd » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Just watched Ana Vidovic play it.

I am now 77 years old. Brought back feelings I had when I was 20 so be careful what you learn :lol:

At 77 I do not have the time left to learn it.

It has to be one of the most difficult to play.

Ronald

Post by Ronald » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:15 am

Thanks Guys,
it is one of my long term goal
johnd, what do you mean feelings when you were 20, how well you played guitar at 20

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:47 pm

I have the guitar book "Agustin Barrios Selected Works" (or to be precise, the German edition "Ausgewählte Werke") published by fingerpicking.net. It contains La Catedral in notes and tabs, and in my opinion the tabs and the specified fingering is very good, and the same is true for the type face of the book that is readable (for maybe not so good eyes) and is of high quality. I like this version, and for me there is no reason not to start learning it. The only difficulty is the speed, but everything else is playable for an intermediate player.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:27 am

johnd wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:24 pm
Just watched Ana Vidovic play it.

I am now 77 years old. Brought back feelings I had when I was 20 so be careful what you learn :lol:

At 77 I do not have the time left to learn it.

It has to be one of the most difficult to play.
I find Nicholas Petrou's rendition absolutely enjoyable and somewhat addicting... Also, sound engineering is top-notch, so it makes you listen to it again and again, so captivating... As I remember this particular rendition got me hooked and made me start learning this piece. It is a bit beyond my skills, so after trying to learn it for a couple months I stopped it and instead started working more on technique and exercises. Hopefully, in 2-3 years I'll be able to play Allegro Solemne more or less ok (if I keep doing deliberate and focused practice every day).

jonhd, I think if are motivated enough you can always find time and it is never late. Give it another try :)
Cordoba C9

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”