Tatyana's Lagrima

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
A.Arcese

Re: Tatyana's Lagrima

Post by A.Arcese » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:39 pm

First, she's a great player. The melodic lines are beautifully sculpted.

For me, this piece needs some gentle momentum. It needs its pulse. I have that opinion about most all Romantic music, though. Please keep the pulse steady most of the time; then when you step away from it, those moments will become important and potentially will carry strong emotion.

Zen

Post by Zen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:01 am

I like her rendition and am studying it right now!
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

rayian

Post by rayian » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:15 am

A very beautiful composition by Tarrega. Tatyana does it justice

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:44 am

David Norton wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:49 am
Oh dear. Where to even begin? "If you can't say anything nice...."

I really dislike this one. But this is an unfair statement: had I not known who was playing, I may have enjoyed it. But I don't like any of her videos, in particular those with her coquettish head-bobbing and coyly-cutsy shy smiling. Ugh.

David,
Did you ever hear the phrase "Sex Sells? I happen to agree with you. It is very annoying. Playing again . . .Rognvald
P.S. And what do you think every high testosterone male is thinking when he watches her perform??????
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:29 am

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:44 am

David,
Did you ever hear the phrase "Sex Sells?" I happen to agree with you. It is very annoying. Playing again . . .Rognvald
P.S. And what do you think every high testosterone male is thinking when he watches her perform??????
She -- and several OTHER 20- and 30-something female guitarists -- are certainly taking full advantage of their physical attributes in addition to the musical ones. But then again, so did people like Christopher Parkening and Angel Romero: well-muscled handsome men. This is hardly unique to classical guitar, or to classical music. "Sex sells". I've suspected for some years that a major aspect of many a performer's success is their visual attractiveness. An audience is able to stare at the person's body for an hour without being seen as "creepy".

If you have it, use it!
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:28 am

Wow. What a thread.

Sometimes I just shake my head at what gets said on this forum; you can't smile while you play, you can't dress well, you have to be in a grey cell with bars and no furnishings otherwise you are shamltzy....holy smokes.

This seems much more elaborate for furnishings/set and the head bobbing is much more exaggerated but I don't see a thread on Bream's "lame tricks"

I didn't particularly like this performance of it but that's just a personal preference, chocolate or vanilla, just a preference. I just happen to like other's interpretations of it. I could even be very wrong and this is really good...who knows?
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Zero envy by me, only respect. I wish I could play like that. Her interpretation of Lagrima is interesting, not typical. Not bad, just different. But she is a master. I am captivated by her rendition of Tristorosa.. what a nice use of dynamics she can do!

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:47 pm

I've suspected for some years that a major aspect of many a performer's success is their visual attractiveness. David Norton

Liona Boyd(The Lioness) with her low cut dresses was the first person I remember to use her looks to promote her CG career. Why do you think a female CG player got a gig on The Johnny Carson Show? Later, Sharon Isbin. Now the field looks like a collection of CG supermodels . . . not that there's anything wrong with it . . . the reason, in my opinion, is what David has stated in the above quote. Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Wow. What a thread.

Sometimes I just shake my head at what gets said on this forum; you can't smile while you play, you can't dress well, you have to be in a grey cell with bars and no furnishings otherwise you are shamltzy....holy smokes. rpavich

A Y2K take on CG bondage? Playing again . . . Rognvald

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm

My apologies for any show of disrespect expressed in these posts for the earned skill of such greats as Presti, Smits, Boyd, Isbin, Rhyskova, and others.
Last edited by Rick Beauregard on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:26 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm
My apologies for any show a disrespect expressed in these posts for the earned skill of such greats as Presti, Smits, Boyd, Isbin, Rhyskova, and others.

Hi, Rick,
An honest discussion of related "non-musical" elements of a performance are fair game since they are a part of the total picture even though they have nothing to do with the aural perception/performance of the music. I personally don't see any disrespect in the previous posts since there were no comments relating to a pejorative critique of their music but rather some "visual" elements that some on this Forum find detracting, annoying or, in their opinion, unnecessary. Isn't it great we all don't think the same? Perhaps we need to focus more on the art of libation . . . it will certainly be less controversial. . . but then again . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:26 pm
I personally don't see any disrespect in the previous posts since there were no comments relating to a pejorative critique of their music but rather some "visual" elements that some on this Forum find detracting, annoying or, in their opinion, unnecessary.
The disrespect is in the implication that their success is/was down to their looks and not their talent, and that the point of their existence is to be leered at.

I am sure that I am at least as shallow as anyone else on this forum, but even if there were players out there who really were as attractive as Tatyana and Ana are made out to be, I would still listen to the performers that played best because my interest is in the music. Tarrega needs a video like a fish needs a bicycle.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm
My apologies for any show a disrespect expressed in these posts for the earned skill of such greats as Presti, Smits, Boyd, Isbin, Rhyskova, and others.
Therefore Tatyana's performances are beyond reproach?
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:34 pm

The disrespect is in the implication that their success is/was down to their looks and not their talent, and that the point of their existence is to be leered at. Rasputin
Rasputin,
No one really inferred that the previously mentioned female CG's lacked talent or ability but a very reasonable assumption can be made that their exceptional good looks(my opinion) have certainly been a contributory factor to success in their careers and Youtube. I do not like facial grimaces on any guitarist nor do I like, as another respondent mentioned, coquettish expressions by very attractive female CG's. I think it detracts rather than enhances their performance and how seriously they're taken as a performer. Perhaps that's shallow and, if so, I stand guilty as charged. Playing again . . .Rognvald

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Rognvald,

So you think CG players should keep to facial expressions like Segovia and John Williams? You must not like Bream then. Did you see the video link of Bream posted above? He made so many different facial expressions it was very entertaining to watch. It definitely took away some of my attention from the music. The ones where he roll/ blink his eyes looking up at heaven is especially funny. :lol:

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”