Beginner to Classical Guitar - Where to Start with Sheet Music on Forum?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Yisrael van Handel

Re: Beginner to Classical Guitar - Where to Start with Sheet Music on Forum?

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:45 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:As a beginner to classical guitar, I was wondering where a beginner should start?
If you are not going to start with a teacher, then you will need a method book, not pieces to play. I recommend Aaron Shearer's Classical Guitar Technique, volumes 1 and 2, avaiable on the internet, as the copyright has expired. These are books you can go through without a teacher, and still develop correct technique. Once you finish book 2 (my guess is that it will take less than a year), I recommend that you get Stanley Yates' Classical Guitar Technique from Foundations to Virtuosity, volume 1. The reason for this is that while Shearer is a very good, step-by-step introduction to correct classical guitar technique, our notions of optimum technique have changed a lot in the past 80 years. Yates' book just appeared this year, and is a very detailed treatment of modern notions of technique: how to sit, exact movement of each finger, how to hold each arm, and much more. You will probably not want to do the exercises in Yates' book until you are a solid intermediate student, but you should definitely check your technique against Yates when you finish Shearer, if you are proceeding without a teacher.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:As a beginner to classical guitar, I was wondering where a beginner should start?
If you are not going to start with a teacher, then you will need a method book, not pieces to play. I recommend Aaron Shearer's Classical Guitar Technique, volumes 1 and 2, .
noad, shearer, sagreras are all good but in the end all they are is books introducing you to guitar, they are not complete courses.
they will come a time when a piece needs the input of a teacher with fingering position?

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:27 am

If you are not going to start with a teacher, then you will need a method book, not pieces to play. I recommend Aaron Shearer's Classical Guitar Technique, volumes 1 and 2, avaiable on the internet, as the copyright has expired. These are books you can go through without a teacher, and still develop correct technique. Once you finish book 2 (my guess is that it will take less than a year), I recommend that you get Stanley Yates' Classical Guitar Technique from Foundations to Virtuosity, volume 1. The reason for this is that while Shearer is a very good, step-by-step introduction to correct classical guitar technique, our notions of optimum technique have changed a lot in the past 80 years. Yates' book just appeared this year, and is a very detailed treatment of modern notions of technique: how to sit, exact movement of each finger, how to hold each arm, and much more. You will probably not want to do the exercises in Yates' book until you are a solid intermediate student, but you should definitely check your technique against Yates when you finish Shearer, if you are proceeding without a teacher.
:merci: so much for the wonderful advice on a method book to start with! I was still wondering on a method book to purchase that would be good. Once again, thanks for the advice and suggestions! :)

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:34 am

leafhound wrote:
If you are not going to start with a teacher, then you will need a method book, not pieces to play. I recommend Aaron Shearer's Classical Guitar Technique, volumes 1 and 2, .
noad, shearer, sagreras are all good but in the end all they are is books introducing you to guitar, they are not complete courses.
they will come a time when a piece needs the input of a teacher with fingering position?
:merci: for the insight and the advice!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:07 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:I recommend that you get Stanley Yates' Classical Guitar Technique from Foundations to Virtuosity, volume 1. The reason for this is that while Shearer is a very good, step-by-step introduction to correct classical guitar technique, our notions of optimum technique have changed a lot in the past 80 years. Yates' book just appeared this year, and is a very detailed treatment of modern notions of technique: how to sit, exact movement of each finger, how to hold each arm, and much more. You will probably not want to do the exercises in Yates' book until you are a solid intermediate student, but you should definitely check your technique against Yates when you finish Shearer, if you are proceeding without a teacher.
Thanks for this recommendation! Does this book use the "4th finger approach" that I've understood to be part of modern technique?

Annette

Post by Annette » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:26 am

Luuttuaja wrote:Does this book use the "4th finger approach" that I've understood to be part of modern technique?
Yes, it does.
Yates teaches three positions of the left hand - parallel, rotated, hyperparallel -, but describes the rotated hand position "as the default for playing in the lower position (a parallel position being used only when absolutely necessary)", see page 115,
Part 1- Foundation.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:59 am

leafhound wrote:noad, shearer, sagreras are all good but in the end all they are is books introducing you to guitar, they are not complete courses. they will come a time when a piece needs the input of a teacher with fingering position?
Fingering position? Do you mean the exact placement and motion of each finger? I got much more from Shearer and Yates than from any teacher. Or do you mean how to figure out fingering? For beginners, they should follow the fingering in method books for beginners (in my opinion, Shearer is the most thorough of the method books that start at the very beginning). It takes a great deal of trial and error and experience to figure out efficient fingering. Playing Sor studies (Opus 60, 44, 31, and 35) as written will give you a good start. Teacher are essential for learning musical expression. I have not found them essential for learning technique.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:06 am

leafhound wrote:noad, shearer, sagreras are all good but in the end all they are is books introducing you to guitar, they are not complete courses. they will come a time when a piece needs the input of a teacher with fingering position?
Fingering position? Do you mean the exact placement and motion of each finger? I got much more from Shearer and Yates than from any teacher. Or do you mean how to figure out fingering? For beginners, they should follow the fingering in method books for beginners (in my opinion, Shearer is the most thorough of the method books that start at the very beginning). It takes a great deal of trial and error and experience to figure out efficient fingering. Playing Sor studies (Opus 60, 44, 31, and 35) as written will give you a good start. Teacher are essential for learning musical expression. I have not found them essential for learning technique.
I am thinking along the lines of pieces that are not covered in these books, int to adv repertoire?

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:26 pm

leafhound wrote:
I am thinking along the lines of pieces that are not covered in these books, int to adv repertoire?
Aha! Is that what you meant? Long before anyone gets to advanced repertoire, they will need a teacher to learn musical interpretation. There is no way that I know of to learn it on your own. You can imitate others, but you cannot get an idea of what the parameters of music interpretation are and how to do it without a teacher. My point is that today's books are so good that you do not need a teacher for mechanics and technique. That is, you can do a lot on your own. But you will definitely hit a brick wall when it comes to developing a musical idiom, unless you are well-educated conductor.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”