"Tips" for guitarists

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Dmitry Nilov

Re: "Tips" for guitarists

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone! :noel: :noel: :noel:

Here is my last clip made in the previous year.

The Etude №16, created by the contemporary of the Viennese classics, is one of the plural SIMPLE pieces for the classical guitar.
The purpose of this video is to show the work with the simplest phrasing and articulation, as well as the technical part of performing.

All the best,
DN

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 am

One of my students decided to learn Capricho árabe by Francisco Tárrega. And I recorded the Skype-lesson with him. With English subtitles.

I don't speak here about any abstract things: no philosophy, no discourse about images and cosmos.
Only the performing art in practice. The fingering, techniques, working with dynamics and common rules of music.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

All the best to everyone! :D

DN

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm

I don't have any specific comments about the technique except to say thank you for this and what amazing playing. What in the world does it take to play like this? I can't imagine ever even coming close to this skill level.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 pm

rpavich wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm
I don't have any specific comments about the technique except to say thank you for this and what amazing playing. What in the world does it take to play like this? I can't imagine ever even coming close to this skill level.
Thanks for your appreciation! :D There is no secret: my performing skill is based on freedom only. Ger rid of tension everywhere in your right hand and you'll see the result. I'll be happy if my tips help you in this! :merci:

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:48 pm

My next tutorial is dedicated to "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" by Francisco Tarrega.

It is one of the most popular (or even the most popular) piece that was ever created for classical guitar.
It's also named "The Etude-Tremolo" which means laborious work not only with the technique of tremolo, but also right management of the right hand's work of a classical guitar-player.
Several most important issues should be pointed out:
1) freedom of the wrist;
2) the right hand's position towards the strings;
3) touch;
4) the independent conjoint work of i- and p-fingers;
5) playing tremolo with different pairs of fingers;
6) playing tremolo in reverse sequence (p-i-m-a);
7) the strength and independence of fingers.

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Dear friends!

I'm happy to present my new video with the exercise that I suppose to be is a kind of yoga for classical guitarists. We pursue next aims:
1) to keep as natural as possible condition of our body (with no sniff, extra tension of muscles and no extra pressure of fingers on strings) in very difficult circumstances of performing;
2) to regulate the controlled productive work of the left hand's fingers and the left wrist.

[goto=][/goto]

Looking forward to receiving your questions here, or on other web-sites, mentioned in this clip.

Always yours,
DN

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:54 am

Thanks Dmitry. These are excellent.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Mon May 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Thank you!!!

Dmitry Nilov

Academism is essential to my work

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Mon May 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Dear friends! Last September the article «Dmitry Nilov: “Academism is essential to my work”» appeared in one of the Russian well-known newspapers "Da capo al fine"("Igraem snachala"), that is published by the International Academy of Musical Innovations and is dedicated to the questions of the classical musical education http://gazetaigraem.ru/a11201709. It tells not only about my musical career, but also about the essential problem - the developing of the performing traditions founded by F. Tarrega and A. Segovia, based on the classical hands' position.
In my, it's very important for the developing of the classical guitar playing art in general as a part of academical musical performing.

I'm happy to tell that the English translation of this article now is available here http://classicsofsound.com/en/Media.

Looking forward to receiving your comments and questions!

Always yours,
DN
:D :D :D

rpavich

Re: Academism is essential to my work

Post by rpavich » Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Dmitry Nilov wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:07 pm
Dear friends! Last September the article «Dmitry Nilov: “Academism is essential to my work”» appeared in one of the Russian well-known newspapers "Da capo al fine"("Igraem snachala"), that is published by the International Academy of Musical Innovations and is dedicated to the questions of the classical musical education http://gazetaigraem.ru/a11201709. It tells not only about my musical career, but also about the essential problem - the developing of the performing traditions founded by F. Tarrega and A. Segovia, based on the classical hands' position.
In my, it's very important for the developing of the classical guitar playing art in general as a part of academical musical performing.

I'm happy to tell that the English translation of this article now is available here http://classicsofsound.com/en/Media.

Looking forward to receiving your comments and questions!

Always yours,
DN
:D :D :D
Awesome! thank you for providing that.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

eno

Post by eno » Fri May 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi Dmitry,

Very interesting article but I have a question. As it is said in the article:
"In the beginning of 1990s a new style of guitar playing was gaining popularity. It differed significantly from the classic technique used by Francisco Tarrega, Emilio Pujol, Miguel Llobet, Andres Segovia, and John Williams - almost all of the outstanding guitarists of the 19-20th centuries. The different hand position was being taken as a game changer which would lead to a revolutionary breakthrough and a new aesthetics of guitar sound."

Could you please explain the difference between the hand positions of the classic and new style techniques? Or perhaps just point me to a material or article where it is explained and illustrated?
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Many of those old-school players used a right hand position where the wrist is turned to the right (towards the bridge) and that puts the fingers in a position where they are more or less perpendicular to the strings. Some of these players also played off the right side of the nail instead of the left side like many modern players do. I've seen videos of Segovia and Oscar Ghilia playing off the right side of the nail. (commonly referred to as Ida Presti style hand position). I'm not sure if Segovia always did this but he and Williams and Pepe Romero both play with the fingers perpendicular (more or less) to the strings. Players like David Russell and Manuel Barrueco play with a straighter wrist that approaches the strings at a 45 degree angle. Many modern players who use the straight wrist position also supinate the forearm somewhat. -- Jorge Cabellaro, Beijing Guitar Duo, etc. I don't think there's a right or wrong right hand position, but most people find one more comfortable than the other. It's a personal thing.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

eno

Post by eno » Fri May 11, 2018 8:48 pm

guit-box, thanks for clarifying, I got it.

I actually deliberately switched from "classic" to "modern" position about 15 years ago without knowing anything about these trends (of course I saw the Segovia's perpendicular position and Russel's straight position in the videos but didn't know anything about the trend from old to knew, I thought that it's just their individual preference). I understand the benefits of the Segovia's position in terms of better ergonomics, higher speed, easiness to achieve more cleanness and so on but the main reason to switch to the straight hand position for me was the sound. "Classic" position definitely requires less muscular effort and less finger travel to play and fingers are less likely to touch other strings and produce unwanted noise. But I still quite dislike more harsh and more punchy sound produced by the perpendicular position and much prefer deeper, softer, fuller and rounder sound of the straight position. I often find myself playing at quite low angle to the strings, almost in a lute-mode, to get even softer and more pleasant sound while loosing in speed and putting more muscular effort to pluck the strings. But of course it's totally a matter of personal preference, AS LONG AS we clearly understand what we gain and what we loose when choosing one position vs the other.

Another thought: the perpendicular position of the old-school players makes total sense because they were Spanish school players and the punchiness of the sound is quite natural to Spanish flamenco-influenced style of playing and it sounds quite authentic, so the origin of this position is quite sensible.
Last edited by eno on Fri May 11, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri May 11, 2018 9:09 pm

I agree, it's difficult to make claims that one hand position is superior to another when there are so many world class guitarists with different hand positions. I think Dmitry's technique is amazing, but I can't get comfortable with that hand position. I've been leaning more towards the straight wrist, 45 degree angle, and slightly supinated forearm lately and that seems to work for me. It also requires a different nail shape.

Check out Thibaut Garcia playing exclusively off the right side of the nails
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Dmitry Nilov

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Dear friends! Thanks for your comments! I have several clips about this theme. They are published both here, in this forum and on my channel in YouTube. It's better to ask me questions there, since there are already lots of them :)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”