Slow and Painful

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
OldPotter

Slow and Painful

Post by OldPotter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I have been looking at Satie's Gymnopedie No 1. The instruction at the beginning says "Lent et Douloureux", its almost as if he knew how I was going to play it. The Google translation is " Slow and Painful"
Is that what he really meant or is there a better word that translates the true meaning into English?
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Slow and Painful

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:36 pm

OldPotter wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:24 pm
I have been looking at Satie's Gymnopedie No 1. The instruction at the beginning says "Lent et Douloureux", its almost as if he knew how I was going to play it. The Google translation is " Slow and Painful"
Is that what he really meant or is there a better word that translates the true meaning into English?
Sorrowful.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Thank you Stephen, that does work when I translate back into French too.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:43 am

That's funny I'm working on that piece too. I Googled "lent et douloureux" and it said slow and painful...see Gymnopedie No1
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 am

My Collins dictionary lists the rarely used word 'dolorous' which it defines as 'painful or sorrowful'.

Among the definitions of 'douloureux' in my Collins-Robert French-English is 'harrowing' but that only applies to my rendition of the piece.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:52 am

I've often wondered why the Spanish name Dolores should be so popular when it is cognate with douloureux (douleurs, anyway). Why would you give your daughter a name like that? Anyway, this thread has prompted me to look it up and it turns out to be a reference to Mary of the sorrows, aka the virgin Mary.

msd

Post by msd » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm afraid that your translation accurately describes the way I played this piece when I struggled with it a few years ago. :roll:

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Quite a nice piece. Never listened to it before. I really only listened to it to see if I could make some sort of humourous remark about the name. I was pleasantly surprised. Neither of the two versions I listened to suggest "sorrowful" to me. The closest I would say was marginally melancholic. I would quite like to learn it but it is way beyond my skill level.

Have fun with it.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:06 pm

"Melancholic" is a better description, in my opinion...
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 pm

simonm wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 pm
Quite a nice piece. Never listened to it before. I really only listened to it to see if I could make some sort of humourous remark about the name. I was pleasantly surprised. Neither of the two versions I listened to suggest "sorrowful" to me. The closest I would say was marginally melancholic. I would quite like to learn it but it is way beyond my skill level.

Have fun with it.
It is a beautiful piece, quietly melancholic as you say.

Do listen to Pascal Rogé's very beautiful performance the piano original on YouTube - perfection (at least it is for me): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z3f34Ju5LnM
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:05 am

Christopher Parkening's arrangement says "slowly and mournfully".

Cheers,
Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:52 am
I've often wondered why the Spanish name Dolores should be so popular when it is cognate with douloureux (douleurs, anyway). Why would you give your daughter a name like that? Anyway, this thread has prompted me to look it up and it turns out to be a reference to Mary of the sorrows, aka the virgin Mary.
R,
You must be an eternal optimist . . . You're giving people far more credit than they deserve. Playing again . . . and in good humor . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”