Fretboard chart for lefthanded player

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Tom75

Fretboard chart for lefthanded player

Post by Tom75 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm

I did not find anythink, so I made one by myself. Maybe someone else have use of it:
Unbenannt-1.png
]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

musikai

Re: Fretboard chart for lefthanded player

Post by musikai » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Nice!!
I think by creating this you also learned a lot yourself.
As a lefthand player there also was a time I thought lefthand chord diagrams would be nice. But nowadays I just read them mirrored.
(But if somebody is need of creating lefthand chord symbols I can recommend the Extension "ChordDiagrams" for LibreOffice. The created diagrams can be turned to "lefthanded" by flipping horizontally.)
(PS: 1.empty String = e' )
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:09 am

I'm left handed, but I don't play "left handed." Anyway, I have a devil of a time reading Italian tablature. I often suspected that, had I learned "left handed" then it might be easier...lol :-)
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

Karen

Post by Karen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:39 pm

This brings up a question I have been really curious about. I am right handed so maybe I just don’t understand. It seems to me that lefties would have a advantage when playing guitar the normal way as the strength and dexterity required by the left hand would already be better formed when starting. If it is about difficulties learning to play, I can assure you playing guitar is difficult for righties to learn as well, at least for this one. :) I see lots of disadvantages to switching to a left handed guitar so please help me understand why one would go through this effort. It’s got to be worth it to you somehow!

mainterm

Post by mainterm » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Karen wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:39 pm
This brings up a question I have been really curious about. I am right handed so maybe I just don’t understand. It seems to me that lefties would have a advantage when playing guitar the normal way as the strength and dexterity required by the left hand would already be better formed when starting. If it is about difficulties learning to play, I can assure you playing guitar is difficult for righties to learn as well, at least for this one. :) I see lots of disadvantages to switching to a left handed guitar so please help me understand why one would go through this effort. It’s got to be worth it to you somehow!
Like myself, I suspect many left handed players end up on "right" handed instruments due to the relative inconvenience of acquiring a non-standard instrument. I started playing on the guitar because there were guitars sitting around the house...

And as you say, there is plenty of work to go round for both hands.

On the other hand, no pun intended :), developing proper right hand technique has been challenging. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject can chime in, but I sense that the plucking hand requires more fine motor skill/development than the fretting hand. Given this, I sometimes wish I had started on a LH guitar and even now occasionally consider switching to LH plucking.

Perhaps the challenges right handed folks encounter with the fretting hand are foreign to me - fretting with my left hand has always been fairly easy. Much easier than it seems to me when I've watched right handed players, especially students developing LH technique.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 pm

I started playing a left-handed guitar right-handed all those years ago (I'm naturally ambidextrous) because my cousin got me started and his was the only guitar around. As soon as I got my own guitar I flipped all my chord shapes very quickly.
I've always thought that the left hand's job is harder, and the dominant hand (RH) can be left to 'look after itself'.
I can still flip around to strum a few chords the other way ... nails get in the way though.
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”