Keep current teacher?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
wildchicken

Keep current teacher?

Post by wildchicken » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:12 am

Hi All,

I am looking for advice. I recently started taking lessons from a guitar player that was referred from a classical guitar teacher that unfortunately was already full with students. The challenge is that this teacher plays a variety of different guitar styles and does not generally play classical. In the past two lessons he has focused on me learning chord scales in tab format. While he is definitely talented and states that he is interested in me being able to recognize chords in pieces which would let me pick them up quickly, I am not sure if this is the path I should be taking starting out. He de-emphasized the importance of the book pieces.

I am working on deciding whether or not to continue with this teacher, though that would mean I would be learning on my own. I had taken lessons for a few months previously with a different teacher.

Thank you,

lagartija

Re: Keep current teacher?

Post by lagartija » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:51 am

If you have doubts that you are learning what you wish to learn, you might look into Skype lessons with someone who really does teach classical.
Are you near Boulder or Denver? There may be good teachers within an hour’s drive...
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:29 am

It does not sound like he will provide you with the classical tuition you need. However, if you have no alternative the question then becomes I think whether you feel you are getting anything out of the existing lessons and whether you are enjoying them.
If you are getting something out of the lessons, be it not with the classical focus you'd like, it might be worth keeping going if/until you find a better alternative.
It does seem either way you should look around for a better option though.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:37 am

Have you asked the original teacher for another reference? stipulating what you are looking for of course. Tell him/her "I want someone closer to your style of teaching". Maybe a little flattery will get that teacher to take you on after all.

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Just curious, so, the teacher started from chord scales instead of checking your technique first (posture, right hand, etc.)? I would definitely run away. Sorry, just my opinion, but this "variety of different guitar styles" teachers will not get you anywhere. Probably studying on your own using good method books will be less harmful.
I can totally understand why this "teacher" has many students: most people want to play chords and simple songs. Very few want to learn classical guitar seriously.
Cordoba C9

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 pm

Chord scales in tab format?
Two lessons in and you're having doubts.
I think you know the answer to your question.

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:09 pm

If strict classical guitar method is what you're looking for, I'd probably go my own way rather than ride it out hoping that it will work out in the end. Until you find a more suitable teacher, I'd just teach myself with the vast amount of resources available such as method books, YouTube, etc.

I myself was duped into having a non-classical guitar teacher years ago and tried to ride it out.. I feel that money and time could of easily been spent better on a better teacher or resources.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 pm

My first lesson was spent entirely with my teacher filing and polishing my RH nails and learning to produce tone. He made me try different angles of attacking the stings until the tone was full. He said: "This is ear training. You must learn to hear properly before you learn to play. Use your ears to correct yourself. During our lessons I will be your extra set of ears, but when you are practising at home listen carefully. If your tone is not full, practice until you get it right. Your assignment for next week is to play open strings only with p-i-m-a and try to make your tone full and even whatever finger you use!"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 pm
This is ear training. You must learn to hear properly before you learn to play. Use your ears to correct yourself. During our lessons I will be your extra set of ears, but when you are practising at home listen carefully. If your tone is not full, practice until you get it right.
This is wonderful. Great advice! You, Erik, is probably also an open minded and trusting person to accept this content and assignment for your first lesson :-)
Often with students, you need to get to know them better before they accept doing something that is kind of abstract, imo.

When my daughter learned the cello, however, the first 4 months were spent learning open strings only...

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
My first lesson was spent entirely with my teacher filing and polishing my RH nails and learning to produce tone. He made me try different angles of attacking the stings until the tone was full. He said: "This is ear training. You must learn to hear properly before you learn to play. Use your ears to correct yourself. During our lessons I will be your extra set of ears, but when you are practising at home listen carefully. If your tone is not full, practice until you get it right. Your assignment for next week is to play open strings only with p-i-m-a and try to make your tone full and even whatever finger you use!"
You had a truly great teacher, Erik.
Cordoba C9

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:24 pm
Erik Zurcher wrote:
You had a truly great teacher, Erik.
He is still my teacher. :D
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

wildchicken

Post by wildchicken » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It is one of those things where I guess I do know the answer. I am in Denver, but there apparently is a dearth of classical guitar teachers. It might be worth it to go it alone/online with CGC or Skype lessons. I have mostly been working through Noad.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm wondering whether it may make sense to stick it out a little longer with your current teaching but at the same time go back to the first teacher who you said was a classical guitar teacher and ask to be put on their waiting list? I wouldn't dismiss the importance of being able to learn chords so that you recognise them quickly in pieces. I do question using TAB for this purpose though. Perhaps you could take it upon yourself to re-score to standard notation? You will learn so much by doing this especially fretboard familiarisation. You could do it by hand and/or use a free notation scoring program like MuScore 2 to get more professional results.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:28 pm

P.S. i meant to say that I was lucky enough to spend two weeks in a town called Loveland in Colorado and visited Denver in the middle weekend. I really liked Denver (in fact I really liked everything I saw of Colorado - such a beautiful part of the world).

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:13 am

Lessons should be about what you, the student (and the money), want to learn; not what the teacher thinks will make a good lesson this week. I expect my students to tell me what they like.

Tell your teacher what it is you want to study and make sure he sticks to that. If it doesn't happen, spend your money somewhere that will give you the tuition you want.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”