Keep current teacher?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Chantysboy7

Re: Keep current teacher?

Post by Chantysboy7 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm also located in the Denver area and plan on taking lessons from this guy once my guitar is finished being built. He studied classical at Indiana University, which is a very good music school. Not sure if this helps but it's worth a shot.

Kohl Aldjo
https://lessons.com/co/westminster/guit ... ctions-inc

You could also contact the professor at Metro State and see if they have suggestions or availability.

mainterm

Post by mainterm » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Ricardo Iznaola is in Denver - at least as far as I know. If for no other reason, contacting him could yield either private instruction or references to teachers in the Denver area. He is affiliated with Denver University.

also, there are guitar societies around there which may be easily found online. Try Ft Collins, CO Springs and Boulder as well. CU has a fairly solid guitar program. Participating in these or even just contacting their members would likely yield many references for teachers in the area.

My guess is that there are more qualified teachers around than seem the case.

frerom

Post by frerom » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:45 am

Alan Green wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:13 am
Lessons should be about what you, the student (and the money), want to learn; not what the teacher thinks will make a good lesson this week. I expect my students to tell me what they like.
While you as a student should be the one to set the goals, I expect the teacher to know what will make a good lesson this week, don’t you think? I really liked the teacher I had when I started out, he let me do basically whatever I wanted. This was fun, however there are a lot of basics I have totally missed out on, recognizing chords in a piece being one of them.

fraim

Post by fraim » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:57 pm

wildchicken wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:30 pm
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It is one of those things where I guess I do know the answer. I am in Denver, but there apparently is a dearth of classical guitar teachers. It might be worth it to go it alone/online with CGC or Skype lessons. I have mostly been working through Noad.
fwiw....i think you will be better served & have better results with a "hands on" teacher vs cgc or skype. i have experience as a cgc member (but also have a private teacher) if you want to discuss offline, pm me. nothing bad to say about cgc , just my experience & viewpoint.

Randy Johnson
Student of the online lessons

Post by Randy Johnson » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:24 pm

I canceled my teacher because he wasn't teaching me, I could do what he had me doing for free.
He would basically give me 2 or 3 lessons from Sagreras book each week, no mater how much I struggled or how bad I played he would progress me to the next ones. Not sure why but he even skipped the scale lessons. I am thinking about cgc also.

Kevin Laake

Post by Kevin Laake » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:57 am

There are a couple great classical guitar teachers in Loveland/Fort Collins if you're ever in the area. Alan Skowron is my instructor and I've been very happy with him: https://www.alanskowron.com

He specializes in all kinds of guitar, but classical is his main area of expertise.

Jared Lee

Post by Jared Lee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 am

I'm also asking myself the same question. Been taking lessons for half a year now. I don't have many choices of classical guitar teachers, but chose my current teacher as he has a rather impressive background (at least to me). He has formal music education, performs regularly and is/was quite active in organising classical guitar events in my country.

From time to time we have what I would consider good lessons. Other times, we are just going through the motion where he asks me to play pieces I have practised, asks me to play faster even though my accuracy would suffer, or he assigns me piece after piece when I haven't mastered the previous one yet. The problem is that he seems to have not much feedback for me to improve my playing. I'm sitting for my first exam (skipping many grades too...) in a few months and I'm not even close to feeling ready, but he seems very laid back about it.

I'll probably stick with him until my exam is over, then see if I want to continue. Might take it easy without a teacher for a while before looking for another.

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:35 pm

whichwaytogo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 am
we are just going through the motion where he asks me to play pieces I have practised, asks me to play faster even though my accuracy would suffer, or he assigns me piece after piece when I haven't mastered the previous one yet. The problem is that he seems to have not much feedback for me to improve my playing.
This was my same situation so I stopped my lessons and have been going through my lesson book myself. I now have more time to spend on each lesson instead of rushing to the next one and I have even gone back over prior lessons a few times. I know its going to be slower going this way but I didn't feel my teacher was worth me paying for as he was not really teaching me anything as far as technique of giving any feedback on what I was doing wrong.
I do agree 100% that it is best to have a good teacher but where I live I don't have a lot of options.

Jared Lee

Post by Jared Lee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:35 am

Stickyhead wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:35 pm
whichwaytogo wrote:
we are just going through the motion where he asks me to play pieces I have practised, asks me to play faster even though my accuracy would suffer, or he assigns me piece after piece when I haven't mastered the previous one yet. The problem is that he seems to have not much feedback for me to improve my playing.
This was my same situation so I stopped my lessons and have been going through my lesson book myself. I now have more time to spend on each lesson instead of rushing to the next one and I have even gone back over prior lessons a few times. I know its going to be slower going this way but I didn't feel my teacher was worth me paying for as he was not really teaching me anything as far as technique of giving any feedback on what I was doing wrong.
I do agree 100% that it is best to have a good teacher but where I live I don't have a lot of options.
Ah Stickyhead, I just saw your thread about this topic. Sounds like we are indeed in the same boat. I also had the same thought as you: about giving my teacher another week or month because I'm not sure I can trust my own judgment of what a good teacher or lesson is with my limited experience.

But after going through this thought process several times, I've made up my mind. At this point, the only thing stopping me from quitting his lessons is the exam... Some help is better than no help.

Have you decided if you'll be learning on your own from here on out? Some people suggested Skype lessons too

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:59 am

whichwaytogo wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:35 am
Stickyhead wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:35 pm
whichwaytogo wrote:
Ah Stickyhead, I just saw your thread about this topic. Sounds like we are indeed in the same boat. I also had the same thought as you: about giving my teacher another week or month because I'm not sure I can trust my own judgment of what a good teacher or lesson is with my limited experience.

But after going through this thought process several times, I've made up my mind. At this point, the only thing stopping me from quitting his lessons is the exam... Some help is better than no help.

Have you decided if you'll be learning on your own from here on out? Some people suggested Skype lessons too
I plan on getting lessons again but I'm not sure if they will be online or I may drive to to a larger city near me. There are a couple of online courses I keep leaning towards at classical guitar shed and classical guitar academy.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 am

Hi just to say the two best teachers I've had never advertise they always get students by word of mouth.

The second one I found whilst looking at the music teachers at the local university. I then emailed him, chatted on the phone then we had a trail lesson. We both clicked and I've been having lessons for past 8 years with him. I learn something new every lesson and he's competely changed the way I look at playing.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”