Tie vs Rest

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
mae3x

Tie vs Rest

Post by mae3x » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:08 pm

I apologize as this is a super rudementary question, but can someone explain to me the difference between a tie and a rest? I am working through Noad’s Solo Guitar Playing and just got to the section on ties that is confusing me. Do I not hold the note for both a tie and a rest? Is a tie just used to call for longer or odd rests such as a 3/4 rest? What does a tie between two quarter notes of the same note achieve? I don’t see how I would finger it differently given the tie. Cheers!
Cheers!

Rasputin

Re: Tie vs Rest

Post by Rasputin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:15 pm

A rest is a silence while a tie is a continuation of a note that is already sounding. One reason for using ties is that they make it easier see where the beats are; another is that sometimes a note continues over a barline, and there isn't really any other way to notate that.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:16 pm

As far as I know, a tie is a curved line connecting notes of the same pitch and indicates that the two notes are played as one - i.e. the first note is sounded and then held for the duration of all the notes of the same pitch that are tied.

A rest is used where no notes are sounded, i.e. silence. This can be for all the notes or, where there is more than one musical line, it can indicate a rest on just one or more of the musical lines.
Last edited by JohnB on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Sorry, Rasputin - hadn't seen your post.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

mae3x

Post by mae3x » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:08 am

Thanks for your help!
Cheers!

Susil

Post by Susil » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 am

JohnB wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:16 pm
As far as I know, a tie is a curved line connecting notes of the same pitch and indicates that the two notes are played as one - i.e. the first note is sounded and then held for the duration of all the notes of the same pitch that are tied.
Should it be of any extra help Mae3x, I'd also suggest in addition to what John rightly says you should remember that it's a musical instruction not just about technique. Musically it represents a note that continues.

If you were singing a note that was tied to the next, you would carry on singing that note for the duration of both. The same if you were playing a wind instrument, you would keep blowing, or bowed strings, keep the bow moving... You get the idea. Us 'pluckers' can't quite do the same thing - basically we can only pluck once no matter how long the note lasts for, and there will always be a natural 'maximum length' after which it dies away on it's own. However, we can try to make sure the note keeps ringing, by either holding a left hand finger still, or making sure we don't accidentally lean on the string whilst its still vibrating.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”