grade level shearer vol 1

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
rayian

grade level shearer vol 1

Post by rayian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:01 am

Just wondering. At what grade level would someone be at if they work thru Classic Guitar Technique vol 1 by Aaron Shearer?
Thanks

Karen

Re: grade level shearer vol 1

Post by Karen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:59 pm

I am at the end of that book and my teacher has been assigning me pieces in the RCM Bridges book at the Grade one level. He is choosing pieces to specifically get over my worst weaknesses before I move on to volume 2 of Shearer. I find them challenging but fun and I truly am finally starting to be able to play the cg to at least my satisfaction. It’s only taken me a year and a half to get this far. I must be the world’s slowest student but it is so worth it!

rayian

Post by rayian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Grade 1. That's interesting. I was just looking at the lessons available on this site and Sor's op 35 #1 which is in Shearer's vol 1 is listed at the D03 level which I was thinking was grade 3. I guess it's a different grading system.
For myself, when I first learned to play guitar as a teenager I learned to read music through a Mel Bay system using a pick but over the years since I never really used reading music that much. Most of the music I learned was by ear and tabs and whatever. Anyway, having recently retired from the day job world I figured I have the time to relearn to read music so I'm working through Classic Guitar Technique vol 1 as an exercise in reading music as applied to classical guitar. I'm not finding any of the music in that book very challenging to play but it is working as far as remembering how to read. I guess I'll have to get vol 2 if I want to move up the neck.

Karen

Post by Karen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 pm

I thought, like you, the Shearer book would be easy to play through when I got it. I was already able to read the music, having taken a few years of lessons on a steel string guitar. But I got a teacher who insisted I “learn properly”. He held me back so much and so often I finally got really excited when I got to turn a page a play something new. I finally realized the music is simple so you can concentrate on what your hands are doing. Maybe because I had already played guitar or because it’s the way my teacher works, the concentration was on getting the right hand first. Since completing the book he has been working on getting me to improve the left hand. This has worked very well for me as I seem to tend to get overwhelmed easily. :lol:

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”