Ever play horrible at a lesson?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
georgemarousi

Re: Ever play horrible at a lesson?

Post by georgemarousi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:23 am

Nick Cutroneo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:49 am
georgemarousi wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:45 am
Just one note:
typically, we are not 100% warmed up before a lesson (mostly due to our other day obligations - time management issues. ) . Though, before a "concert" we are.

What I want to note, is that we cant be at our best at most lessons, and still be able to perform great on a concert where we will be really warmed up - that of course if we know on practice that we are OK at a piece if we are 100% warmed up. ( Well, in theory, as the stress factor increases during a concert, we may still dont be OK haha.. :lol: )
Throughout college I would schedule my lessons accordingly to "warm-up" ahead of time. And when I speak about warming up, I'm talking about practicing the pieces which I am playing for my lesson. With that said, throughout the week I continually "test" myself based on a performance which is done with 0 warm-up. I play through the piece immediately before I start to work "practice" it. Through this process I come to understand what to expect from my playing without "warming up".

Preparing for a concert, I'll do several full length performances of my concert program "cold". IE - roll out of bed, take my guitar and play through my program. This is a great wake-up call for what you know and what you don't really know. By doing this several times before a concert, you learn what you can truly count on, and what aspect of your playing needs to be reinforced.

At the end of the day, I never rely on "being warmed up" to give my best performance. I train myself based on "worst case" scenarios. "If this goes wrong, I know I'll be ok" sort of things...
Very interesting Nick, thanks for the tips / suggestions

The only thing that I would afraid of what you describe, is the direct play of the program at the morning - I would afraid of injury - although I dont warm up before play most of the times :oops:
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Panagi Brothers 1970
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
--
2014: the comeback

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:14 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:23 am
The only thing that I would afraid of what you describe, is the direct play of the program at the morning - I would afraid of injury - although I dont warm up before play most of the times :oops:
If you are properly working on your technique, waking up in the morning and playing isn't going to create a playing injury. If you do get injured, there's probably a greater technical issue that has gone unchecked.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

henders

Post by henders » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 pm

It takes me so long to get a piece to the point that I can play it relatively smoothly and with confidence — six months, a year— that I’ve long since moved on with my teacher to other things by then. In the two to three lessons we spend on a piece, I’m clearly not playing it well yet and he’s not expecting me to. We are working out technical aspects, dynamics, phrasing, etc. and then it’s me on my own, living with the piece for a long time, playing the thing over and over. It would be good maybe to revisit old pieces with him, once I am playing them well, to tweak or get his feedback on something that is at a very different stage, but we don’t really do this.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:28 am

henders wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 pm
It takes me so long to get a piece to the point that I can play it relatively smoothly and with confidence — six months, a year— that I’ve long since moved on with my teacher to other things by then. In the two to three lessons we spend on a piece, I’m clearly not playing it well yet and he’s not expecting me to. We are working out technical aspects, dynamics, phrasing, etc. and then it’s me on my own, living with the piece for a long time, playing the thing over and over. It would be good maybe to revisit old pieces with him, once I am playing them well, to tweak or get his feedback on something that is at a very different stage, but we don’t really do this.
Why not ask? At your next lesson, you could ask if you could prepare a few pieces to perform for him the next time so he could give some feedback on how to play them better. What he hears will undoubtedly be different than what you hear when you play it. I think one can gain immensely from this sort of thing. My teacher hears (or sees) things that I missed completely. Of course, that is why I go to him for lessons!
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

twang

Post by twang » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:30 pm

lagartija wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:28 am
Why not ask? At your next lesson, you could ask if you could prepare a few pieces to perform for him the next time so he could give some feedback on how to play them better. What he hears will undoubtedly be different than what you hear when you play it. I think one can gain immensely from this sort of thing. My teacher hears (or sees) things that I missed completely. Of course, that is why I go to him for lessons!
Exactly. I start every lesson with a performance. I'll often perform pieces that that he hasn't heard me play in a long long time. There's always useful feedback. As my skills have advanced that too opens up the possibilities for learning new things in from the piece.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

henders

Post by henders » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:49 pm

My point was that I don’t normally have the experience of feeling that I played “horribly” at a lesson because my expectations aren’t that high yet for a piece in its early stages.

henders

Post by henders » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:50 pm

sorry double post

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”