Bach's BWV 846 Prelude, Bar / Measure #5

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
zupfgeiger

Re: Bach's BWV 846 Prelude, Bar / Measure #5

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm

DaveLloyd wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:21 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:14 pm
I play this prelude for years and don't find bar 5 overly difficult, compared for example to BWV 999, a similar piece. There you find in measure 15 F on first fret of 6th string and pinky holding c, e and a on the fifth fret. It takes a while until you are familiar with such a stretch.
Hhmmm! Sounds like fun! I think I'll give that one a miss zupfeiger.
Conall wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:11 pm
I know it's not particularly helpful but the piece itself does not as a whole work well on the guitar. The beginning looks as if should but the range of the piece is far too wide for the guitar without drastic changing of the octave.

Maybe try something from the violin / cello or "lute" collections?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean Conall? The range is from the open E on the 6th string, to A, at the fifth fret on the 1st string. I think the piano music is pretty similar.
Why drop BWV 999? It's a wonderful piece - and technically not too challenging for the average amateur like me. Measure 15 just needs a bit of practice.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Simon Ambridge, Hauser model, spruce/EIR, 2009
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Conall wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi David,

Sorry if I came across as a bit put-downish. I didn't intend to. I wouldn't say may tastes are especially refined but I am a massive fan of Bach's music . . .
Hi Conall,

Not at all! I joined this forum to learn about music, and you took the time and effort to make me aware of something I hadn't understood before. It's appreciated. Thank you!

I can be a bit slow on the uptake, and I really hadn't realised how great the range was until you mentioned it, and I then took another look at the piano score.

I don't play any other instruments, so the bass clef is a foreign country to me, I have to plod my way through it.

As you mentioned there is also the added problem of sustaining the 2nd note of each arpeggio.

Overall, I think most instrumental pieces are going to sound infinitely better on the instruments for which they were written (sweeping generalization). Having said that, if you played the Premier Prelude, on the guitar, to a random segment of the general public (many/most of whom weren't familiar with it), they would probably be delighted with it, since they wouldn't have the prior experience of a beautiful rendition on the piano to compare it to.

An educated audience might well have reservations.

I have an audience of one (myself) and I'm easy to please. The cat didn't mind listening to me play, but sadly she died (nothing to do with my playing though). :D

Dave

ETA. Coincidentaly around the time of your second post, I was listening to Glenn Gould playing it. Between the piano and the guitar, there was certainly no contest.

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm
Why drop BWV 999? It's a wonderful piece - and technically not too challenging for the average amateur like me. Measure 15 just needs a bit of practice.
I must confess it is not a piece that I am familiar with zupfgeiger. I'll have to go and listen to it. Bar #15 sounds a bit daunting though! :)

ETA. Just listened to it on YouTube. Of course I know it. Just didn't recognise it by the catalogue numbers. Yes, definitely one for the future.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:53 pm

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 am

DaveLloyd wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm
I must confess it is not a piece that I am familiar with zupfgeiger. I'll have to go and listen to it. Bar #15 sounds a bit daunting though! :)

ETA. Just listened to it on YouTube. Of course I know it. Just didn't recognise it by the catalogue numbers. Yes, definitely one for the future.
This is the famous Bream version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g4FrGcRAIs
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Simon Ambridge, Hauser model, spruce/EIR, 2009
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:52 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 am
This is the famous Bream version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g4FrGcRAIs
Thanks zupfgeiger! That's the version I listened to (and one or two others).

1962! What a blast from the past!

I do recall seeing it in the past. I can remember the oddball with the monocle. :D

Guitar Maniac

Post by Guitar Maniac » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:04 am

This is the only piece I can remember and play even after a long time not touching it, I have no problem playing the barre with my pinkie. I think with a bit practice you can nail it down easily.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”