Five-note chord in Bach Fugue BWV 998

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Brooke Martin

Five-note chord in Bach Fugue BWV 998

Post by Brooke Martin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm

How do you play the five-note D major chord in measure 28 of Bach's Fugue, BWV 998, with your right hand? Does the thumb skip from the F# to the D? This is the chord with the F#, D, A, D and A.
Last edited by Brooke Martin on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soltirefa

Re: Five-note chord in Bach Fugue BWV 998

Post by soltirefa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Not sure I understand the question or not, but my take is:

F# with 3
D open
A with 1
D with 2
A with 4

Addendum: I don't have the guitar in my hands as I type this, so I'm not sure if that open D is possible. Perhaps just leave out that D on the 4th string.

Brooke Martin

Post by Brooke Martin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Thank you, soltirefa. I meant the right hand, and I just edited my question to make it clear. But you suggested leaving out the D on the fourth string, so you answered the question.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:26 am

The tenor D is unnecessary, I assure you no one will notice if you leave it out.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor Op. 60" project

escasou

Post by escasou » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Brooke Martin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm
How do you play the five-note D major chord in measure 28 of Bach's Fugue, BWV 998, with your right hand? Does the thumb skip from the F# to the D? This is the chord with the F#, D, A, D and A.
Hi. Normally, in that kind of passages the thumb plays the two bass notes. First, the lower F# and, in a quick movement, is played in arpeggio (or not) the rest of the chord, planting the p-i-m-a fingers on the strings as usual. Regards.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Funny you ask, I had been going through this piece the last few days. Just love it, always did. I watched Ana Vidovic performing it in a video from Siccas guitars on youtube. She does something interesting on that chord with the bass F#, it seems like she rolls the chord and immediately releases the F#. I noticed that there is a good chance the open D will buzz against the ring finger holding the F# if you are not very careful, so perhaps that is why she released the F# earlier. I agree that a 4-note chord would work well and that the open D adds weight but is not essential.

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:22 pm

astro64 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:39 pm
Funny you ask, I had been going through this piece the last few days. Just love it, always did. I watched Ana Vidovic performing it in a video from Siccas guitars on youtube. She does something interesting on that chord with the bass F#, it seems like she rolls the chord and immediately releases the F#. I noticed that there is a good chance the open D will buzz against the ring finger holding the F# if you are not very careful, so perhaps that is why she released the F# earlier. I agree that a 4-note chord would work well and that the open D adds weight but is not essential.
I've just come back to this piece as well! It's a real pleasure to play once I've got my fingers warmed up, one of those pieces where I think 'how did I just do that' each time I finish playing it because it sounds so full and rich.

For that D chord I've flirted with using the right hand pinky but I can never satisfy myself with the tone, so more often than not I leave the open D out.

I think Ms Vidovic's flourishing roll is more an aesthetic choice (what a great performance by the way!) than a mechanical one. If you make sure to use the very tippy tip of your LH index middle and pinky to fret the chord, you can leave enough room for the open D to move without buzzing (though I guess that depends on the height of the action on each guitar now that I think about it).

Then we've just got to get through that tricky arpeggio section that comes up soon after :mrgreen: and let's not mention the allegro after that :oops:

Enjoy!
Jussi

Brooke Martin

Post by Brooke Martin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Jussi, what a great answer! I tried playing the chord with the pinky, too, and it sounded pretty good. But a default tilt toward simplicity left me leaving out the note in the end, based on some of the advice here. If anyone ever notices seeks legal recourse against me, I shall assure the judge that the note was left out inadvertently. :)

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Brooke Martin wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 pm
Jussi, what a great answer! I tried playing the chord with the pinky, too, and it sounded pretty good. But a default tilt toward simplicity left me leaving out the note in the end, based on some of the advice here. If anyone ever notices seeks legal recourse against me, I shall assure the judge that the note was left out inadvertently. :)
Yeah, I end up at the same point too. The pinky is tantalising but temperamental, I always want the A to be a bit stronger and clearer than I can manage with the pinky. It seems the delcamp forum jury would find us innocent at least!

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”