Tonebase?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
guit-box

Re: Tonebase?

Post by guit-box » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:17 pm

One month at a time is fine for me. I like that they don't force you to sign up for a yearly subscription because I wouldn't do it if I had to commit to a full year. I can get what I need for one month and then come back and join when they get more content that interests me. I think it's up to $12/month now from $9 when I first signed up, so I'm hoping frequent price increases are not the trend.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Along with the occasional price increases are new lessons and new artists added, so they may eventually have to break it into categories to keep prices reasonable. Even so, to be able to watch these fine players demonstrate how they got there makes the pricing more than fair!
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:19 pm

i love the fact that you can go back and watch it again and again as there are some real pearls of wisdom here that is easy to forget.
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Use it all the time. It’s a fantastic resource. As others have said, it seems to be more focused at intermediate and advanced players. Some of the lessons are better than others but the good ones more than justify the cost.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:35 pm

The Joseph Palmer lesson on cross string trills using amip instead of aimp is very helpful. I don't have it yet but I can see where it will allow more repetitions of the pattern to flow better. I never could figure out how players were doing several in a row and now I think I understand, they are likely using amip as the fingering.

rfwagner

Post by rfwagner » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 am

I’m another big fan of Tonebase. I’ve found every lesson I’ve watched to be thought provoking. The content is well produced and well organized and the website is pretty polished.

It’s obviously a very different format from something like Artist Works or Classical Guitar Corner. But I think it’s really cool and just plain fun to be able to get different perspectives from a variety of world class guitarists.

Richard

Ali Hamdani

Post by Ali Hamdani » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 pm

My old guitar instructor recommended tonebase to me, he is a pretty good player (graduated from Eastman music school). Although I have not tried it since I personally don't have the time to research it.

Arduous

Post by Arduous » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:05 pm

John Oster wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 pm
Does anyone have a "premium" account with them? If so, does the quality of the lessons justify the monthly fee? Right now they are offering a "special" of just $8.95 a month instead of the normal $14.95. (Without the upgrade, one can only watch the introductory lesson, which often consists of an overview of the piece or technique in question.)

I have a premium account. Signed up and after the first evening I haven't been back.
As usual with any video lessons they do NOT substitute for lessons from a competent teacher.

!Videos are not a way to get better at playing the guitar.!
They may be thought provoking but they will not come close to getting a good teacher.

In the end all you're doing is watching videos.

The only real way at getting good at playing the guitar is to get a good teacher and stay with that teacher for years, and years.....blood sweat and tears my friend... that's all music understands.

Not a bunch of videos and now magically you're better.

Just ask your self, how many of the people who are there "teaching" these songs do you think got to where they are in their playing by watching videos?

I bet you all of them took lessons for years and years.

On another note, the reason they themselves are there is because they get a small amount, just pocket change, for doing those videos.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:40 am

I don't think you get better by taking lessons for years and years from one teacher, you get better by making correct movements practiced slowly and correctly for years and years. If you have access to a teacher at the level of one of the teachers on Tonebase, you might be right, but if there isn't a great teacher in your location Tonebase is a great resource. I've personally learned way more from watching videos on Tonebase and been given alternative perspectives I would never have gotten from one teacher--even a great teacher. It's not really a good resource for a beginner, it's for a serious advanced student or professional who already knows how to process information and apply it independently.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:08 am

one can learn a great deal from videos made by very advanced professionals, especially if one plays along with them. and if one stays with a teacher for years and years, one may never get anywhere as well. better to have several really good teachers over the years, and the videos are like having several good teachers available. if you need more input, there are Skype lessons offered by many of the tonebase players.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Argent

Post by Argent » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Have been using tonebase premium for last 2 weeks. Some really interesting lessons and a great variety of different top level players.
David Argent Cedar 2005

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:17 pm

I was just glancing at this. I’m hungry for more classical guitar content in my life, and since I already take piano lessons I’m not going to take private classical guitar.

I have a music degree and 20+ years teaching other styles of music. But as a classical guitarist I’m not very advanced. Does Tonebase have much content aimed at early intermediate players like me? I love the podcasts and am curious about trying Tonebase.
Best,
Chuck

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:06 pm

SleepyheadRooster wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:17 pm
I was just glancing at this. I’m hungry for more classical guitar content in my life, and since I already take piano lessons I’m not going to take private classical guitar.

I have a music degree and 20+ years teaching other styles of music. But as a classical guitarist I’m not very advanced. Does Tonebase have much content aimed at early intermediate players like me? I love the podcasts and am curious about trying Tonebase.
Yes they’ve been adding more beginner/intermediate content recently. Some of the technique lessons will be perfect for you. Check out the ones by Thomas Viloteau.

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 am

Rasqeo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Yes they’ve been adding more beginner/intermediate content recently. Some of the technique lessons will be perfect for you. Check out the ones by Thomas Viloteau.

Thank you!
Best,
Chuck

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”