Phrasing and musicianship

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Wuuthrad

Re: Phrasing and musicianship

Post by Wuuthrad » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:34 pm

VasquezBob wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:42 pm
I was trying to explain phrasing to a friend today by using the "ABC song". I hope that I got the 'emPHAsis" correct; and, we also used a melisma at the end. Fun stuff.
You're quite welcome, and I like your idea of using song to explain phrasing very much!

I feel that song is an important element of (mostly instrumental) classical guitar that is too often overlooked, sometimes to the detriment of phrasing or musicality so to speak.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:35 pm

"The Art of Interpretation," by Pablo Casals. An indispensable book for any serious musician. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi,
Determining "my" phrasing/dynamics is the first thing I do when considering a new piece. I do this without a guitar in my hands. Then I plan a fingering that will match my intentions. If I can't find a fingering (or a suitable alternative), I discard the piece.

All the best,
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:38 pm

I don’t learn songs measure by measure. I work through the whole thing and then focus on perfecting it by breaking it down into phrases rather than by measures.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”