Rest stroke melody and Bass at the same time

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Alan Green

Re: Rest stroke melody and Bass at the same time

Post by Alan Green » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:06 am

VCG wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 am
Hello,
I wanted to ask. How you play rest stroke with bass at the same time?

example,
out2.PNG
At this passage, I want to play all rest stroke. But, the basses (D, E) doesn't allow me.

Is the technique of rest stroking and bass at the same time worth training?
I didn't find manuals talking about playing rest stroke and bass at the same time.

Thank you for you answer.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English :)
Yes - melody with rest strokes and bass with free strokes - it's very much worth learning because it allows you to have strong (loud) melody line projecting over a soft bass line. Tarrega's "Lagrima" is another prime example and is a useful practise exercise for you to work on the technique.

VCG

Re: Rest stroke melody and Bass at the same time

Post by VCG » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:36 pm
VCG wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 am
Is the technique of rest stroking and bass at the same time worth training?
I didn't find manuals talking about playing rest stroke and bass at the same time.
Yes this technique (like nearly all techniques on the classical guitar) is worth learning. You can think of techniques a little like tools in a toolbox - you might not need a hammer every day but you'll be grateful that you have one when you need to hammer in a nail!!

Julio Sagreras introduced the technique of playing free stroke thumb with rest stroke fingers very early on in his first guitar lesson book Las primeras lecciones de guitarra. If you don't already have a copy of of this technique book you can view it here on this forum at https://www.delcamp.net/pdf/Julio_Salva ... itarra.pdf.

Refer to Leccion 38 and Leccion 39 where this technique is first introduced and explained (page 19 on the link provided above).
thanks
My blog, guitar and thoughts
https://medium.com/@vitalypeimer

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”