Learning the higher frets

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
fast eddie

Learning the higher frets

Post by fast eddie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 pm

I realize that this is not a new topic but I didn't know where else to put it. I have decided that I need to learn the entire fretboard if I am going to progress with my self studies. I live in a very small town and am not aware of any classical guitar teachers here. Presently I know the first 5 frets and some others. Foe example i learned the 7 th, 9th and 10th frets Whatever method i ultimately use I realize that this will take some time. I am plying the C scale in 3 positions, and do what I am able to with D, E F and G scales. I have worked on Lagrima for a month or so and that is an exercise on higher frets. but I still can't locate a random high note on the fretboard. If anyone has any suggestions they are appreciated.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Erik Zurcher

Re: Learning the higher frets

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:37 pm

Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks Eric. I have put these on my computer and will start immediately.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Thorn Hill

Post by Thorn Hill » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:06 am

Erik, I just saw your charts and I will be printing them out.

Thank you very much for doing this.

Ken

Alyamepi

Post by Alyamepi » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:07 am

There are also apps available to practice on you smartphone. I don't use them, but a search on "fretboard" in should put you on track. What can also help you is playing the segovia scales. These are 2-octave scales that move to higher positions on lower strings, unlike other patterns that only move on the high E string. more info here: https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 33#p646217

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm still learning this stuff too. I can work through it but it hasn't become instinctive like the lower end.

For me it seems a matter of just doing a lot of reading/decoding. The more I do the better I get. There are some Tarrega studies in at the end of the D05 collection that run all over the fretboard, especially the high end. They're tough but I think I'm getting there. I recommend that.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:42 pm

I've started to question the longstanding practice of teaching sight reading and note recognition by position. I'm experimenting with teaching it one string at a time, with an early focus on melodies that go up and down the length of a single string.

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:07 pm

SUGGESTION: Play each scale that you know and recite each note as you play it while glancing at the fretboard, then, before moving to the next note glance at that note on the staff. For example, you already know that middle C is located on the 5th string, 3rd fret AND that it is also located on the 6th string, 8th fret. Practice the C major scale in both positions while reciting and glancing. Next, practice C major (reciting/glancing) in both positions but, start each scale at the top. GO SLOWLY, AT FIRST. After you get comfortable with the approach, try the same (recite/glance) with other scales that you already know. Don't forget to give us some feedback, as to your findings.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:01 am

I also am learning the Pentatonic and Dorian modes and playing several major scales in each. Have no idea where this leads but I enjoy the sounds of each one. I also take the time to input them into either MuseScore or Sibelius, which helps me learn. I also play these in a couple of positions up and down the fretboard.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”