Is there any hope to play well at this age?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Thomas

Is there any hope to play well at this age?

Post by Thomas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:40 pm

My Dad gave me a guitar when I was in early high school.
I got myself some books and learned all by myself. Every thing by myself without any teacher.
Yes I started 30 years ago , Some times I learned some classical very seriously then I just played some pop songs
some times on classical guitar some times acoustic .

I can see you have some guitar lessons in this site
How to know what level I am and from what lesson should I start?

Robin

Re: Is there any hope to play well at this age?

Post by Robin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:26 pm

Although you have experience on the guitar, it sounds like your classical studies were sporadic at best. You don't tell us what pieces you enjoyed playing over the years so we don't know what difficulty level you achieved. In my opinion, it never hurts to go back to the beginning. You never know, there might be things you missed or forgot about. You can move along at a pace that meets your needs. It's also important to develop technical skills to support your skill development.

Welcome back to classical guitar!

Robin
So much music, so little time.

a human

Post by a human » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:28 am

Why not? I'm 65 and still following the classical guitar muse. The key is to enjoy the journey and take delight in your improvements. Play for yourself and share with others as your confidence builds. Take lessons if you can swing the finances and find a like minded teacher. Set goals that make you happy and not sad. Enjoy. Rest assured, you already play better than most humans walking the Earth.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:16 am

Of course.. any of us can learn to play simple pieces well, and then to just build upon that success.

Join the online lessons here, start on year 1 lesson 1, why not? In a years time, you can be playing at a year 1 level, which is really honestly nothing to sneeze at, it's amazing what all they teach you in a year.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 am

I'm 73 and returned to playing the guitar six years ago after a very long break. Since then I have passed Trinity grades 4, 6 and 7 all with merit or distinction. Even a broken wrist has not put me off continuing to grade 8. Finding a good teacher has been the key.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:17 pm

DerekB wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 am
I'm 73 and returned to playing the guitar six years ago after a very long break. Since then I have passed Trinity grades 4, 6 and 7 all with merit or distinction. Even a broken wrist has not put me off continuing to grade 8. Finding a good teacher has been the key.
I’m 72, still enthusiastic and you are absolutely correct about finding a good teacher.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:56 pm

Age is not a barrier, at least not to me. I think youth has some advantage when it comes to fast complex technical pieces, but think about what a master does with a slow simple piece; they play it masterfully. That's worth pursuing at any age.

KP

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:40 pm
I got myself some books and learned all by myself. Every thing by myself without any teacher.
Yes I started 30 years ago , Some times I learned some classical very seriously then I just played some pop songs

You may find some answers in this thread Thomas. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112357&hilit=Can+an+old+guy

As to where and whether to start the Delcamp online lessons, I’ll share my thoughts. Like you I had a couple years of lessons decades ago and restarted after retirement. I suggest you start with D01 Lesson 1 and start sight reading every exercise and all the piece. You’ll reach a point where you can’t just sight read the piece anymore. Start your study there, or maybe even back up a year.

I started in D03 by this method. I was very late in the year but it was not that challenging for my level so I powered through it. The next year I continued at D04. Now I’m struggling through D07 on the Spanish Forum. The lessons provide great graded repertoire for your level, a constant source of challenge and encouragement, and great comraderie with others like us from around the world.

Good luck!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Wow, what great and positive responses to Thomas' question about being able to "play well at (t)his age?". Guitar players are the best.

Daniele Magli

Post by Daniele Magli » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:13 pm

Age is never a problem .
Time coul be a problem, but if you have some time to play every day
of course you'll play well .

in this video a student of mine some time ago

( not a young boy but a real good guitarist )

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:11 am

Thank you all for your kind word . Now I have hope !

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:03 pm

When the "Beatles" put out "When I'm 64" all those years ago, I thought that was still miles away.Yet here I am at exactly that and still thundering on only, mostly on cg though, which still keeps me going and still being "handy mending a fuse, who could ask for more.Will you still need me will you still feed me when I'm 64" (Lennon and Mc Cartney, Sgt. Peppers...)I've also done the whole "Band" bit, but that's mostly gone now.So welcome to the club. :discussion: :discussion:

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:29 am

Thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:40 pm

There is an old saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks. It simply isn't true. Frank R. Wilson, neurologist and musician, states that we have the ability to continue learning well into the twilight years. With life experiences, you are sure to be a superior learner in many ways. The ability to question, the need to understand, the faculty to seek intuitive and logical relationships give a secure edge to someone starting much later.

How do you know where to start? (in general, not any place specifically) The beginning. Consider that there really is no such thing as advanced technique. All technique is basic. In the very beginning are the foundations we continue to use and perfect for the rest of our lives. By going to the beginning, you are able to perfect those foundations that is key in moving forward. And this same idea carries into the repertoire you choose to play. Playing much easier repertoire well is a sure fire way to quickly progress.

Happy practicing!
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

Bemus07

Post by Bemus07 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:35 pm

There's no point denying yourself of something you'd like to do just because of your age. You might as well enjoy it instead. Absolutely go for it! :)

Scott Sanchez, Classical Guitarist

Post by Scott Sanchez, Classical Guitarist » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Through the years, I have instructed many adult amateur students on classical and jazz guitar. It has been my experience that students can learn and progress at any age. I do think it is important to consider the skill level of the repertoire being learned (this is true for any age). What I find inspiring about the retired adult students I teach is the enthusiasm they bring to their studies. They are doing this for the love of it. No-one is forcing them to take lessons. Though this enthusiasm can sometimes manifest as over reaching in terms of repertoire difficulty, it is the job of a good teacher to help balance this tendency.

We live in an enlightened era in guitar pedagogy, and there is much graded repertoire available to guitarists. Many of the guitar methods that were popular 30 or more years ago would progress smoothly, and then take leaps in skill level, without seeming to asses the technical issues at hand (so to speak). This is all part of the evolution of a field of study, and I am thankful for the earlier pioneers in pedagogy. Guitar is now joining the ranks of other instruments such as piano and violin that have a rich, well thought out pedagogical tradition.

One of my students is 86 years old. He started playing when he was well into his 60’s and after he retired as an engineer. He has been working on Giuliani studies, and has been making steady progress. The other day he had a major break-through and was playing one particular study with a beautiful rich tone - better than I have heard him ever play. So, yes there is “hope to play well” at any age.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”