El decameron negro story?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
redmcq

El decameron negro story?

Post by redmcq » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:11 pm

Hello I'm wondering if someone can help me find the story's to the El decameron negro, which book by Leo frobenius are they in?

I purchased the black decameron by Leo frobenius but can't seem to see anyway mentioning the names of the movements? Is it in this book or another??

Many many thanks to whoever can help me.

Frank Nordberg

Re: El decameron negro story?

Post by Frank Nordberg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:19 pm

You may find some info in this old thread:
viewtopic.php?t=66188

If I udnerstand right, Brouwer read Frobenius' book many years before he wrote the suite and didn't remember or base the pisec on specific stories there but rather on the overall mood.

vesa

Post by vesa » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:22 am

NorthTexan wrote:but having seen what appears to be Brouwer's handwritten copy of the work, there is a note at the end that tells the player that "The 'ballads' can be played in any order." Based on that, when I played this piece several years back, I played the movements in the reverse order of how they are typically performed.
I saw that in cuban published score too.
I do not follow the¨normal¨ order either, I play The Harp last.
Sorry but can't help you with the stories

Vesa
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:41 am

redmcq wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:11 pm
Hello I'm wondering if someone can help me find the story's to the El decameron negro, which book by Leo frobenius are they in?

I purchased the black decameron by Leo frobenius but can't seem to see anyway mentioning the names of the movements? Is it in this book or another??

Many many thanks to whoever can help me.
Last year I had to write an essay/class presentation on Leo Brouwer, and one of the pieces I exposed was Decameron Negro. I found on many thesis and articles that Brouwer never stated that the movements were literally based on any of their stories.

My master, Victor Villadangos, told me he read all the book and didn't find any correlation between the movements and the story context of the pieces.
The first movement "El arpa del guerrero" (Warrior's Harp) should state that there was a harp.. my professor never find a harp in the book, only some stringed instruments as he recalls but never and harp. Also found some stories of lovers but never a story were two lovers run from their village on a horse through an echo valley.
It seems that Brouwer only based the context of the suite on the book, but didn't recreate literally any story.
You're reading this.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”