First Face to Face Lessons

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
furrypenguin

Re: First Face to Face Lessons

Post by furrypenguin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:17 pm

celestemcc wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:08 pm
Just expect that you'll be nervous! And don't worry, lessons are the place to make mistakes. We've *all* (ALL) experienced the "I played it perfectly at home!" phenomenon, lol. But your mistakes are a good thing, in your lesson. It tells your teacher what to focus on to help you improve. So you don't need to impress your teacher. With time you'll get much more comfortable playing in lessons. Remember too that this is the place for critique, so expect that you'll be corrected a lot. Some teachers give a lot of praise, some don't, so it's OK if the teacher doesn't do that. However, never should a teacher put you down, either, and the line can be fine between our own ego and realism. As someone said above, you'll soon find if you're compatible with your teacher. The most important thing, I think, is that the teacher adapt to your learning style. If you ask a question and you don't understand the answer, tell him or her. A good teacher will figure out a way to explain in a way you do understand. Have fun. Lessons are great, and so inspiring. I just had a lesson yesterday and I always come away with so much to learn, and excited about it all! Enjoy the process!
Couldn't agree more with celestemacc. Would only add that learning and improving happens over a longer period of time that we all might like, so give it time, time to relax in each others company and time to let new stuff sink in. And remember that the best teacher in the world cannot replace practice!!!!

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:45 pm

chien buggle wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:57 am
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:50 pm
Remember, you are auditioning him. He’s the one who should be nervous. Good advice about thinking about your goals, most admired performers, favorite pieces you’d like to play. But more importantly, can he take you where you want to go? What is his philosophy on teaching: just play pieces, just mind numbing drills, health mix of the two? Is that what you want to do? Does he control and direct you where you should go or just let you noodle through it? Rigorous or just fun? And is this the approach you want to follow? Can he connect you with peers? How does he give feedback? Positive, constructive, or negative, condescending and arrogant? Does he seem fun? Does he love teaching or is this just a gig to make money? Is he a skilled teacher or just shreds? Can he put things into words and demonstrate how to do it? Does he have a system? And finally, do you feel a connection?
I would be very careful about thinking like this. The fact is that the OP is not qualified to assess the teacher. Beginning students are really not in a position to have an opinion on things like teaching philosophy. Also although I sometimes joke around too much with my students, whether a teacher is fun or not is really irrelevant.

Of course you must try to find a well qualified, teacher who is a good performer with plenty of experience teaching. However being open minded as a student is one of the most important things. If you go into lessons with the idea that you should be in control and you are only learning what you think is best, you will not be able to learn anything that contradicts your own opinions, which as a beginner, are not informed.

You should of course get along with your teacher but it's not a date. The real test is, are you learning? If the answer is no, then leave but if you like how your teacher plays and you're learning then stay on.
Thanks and yeah Im gonna give this a go for a couple months. I honestly have no clue how lessons go. Ill let him lead the way and just ask questions. I definitely dont wanna throw something too quickly ✌

dta721

Post by dta721 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:19 pm

guitarist_le wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:45 pm
Thanks and yeah Im gonna give this a go for a couple months. I honestly have no clue how lessons go. Ill let him lead the way and just ask questions. I definitely dont wanna throw something too quickly ✌
Will you tell him you "gonna give this a go for a couple months"? It could be a good idea to set the expectation(s) up front, one way or another, otherwise by default you may be set up for failure?

As you can play that "Prelude from Cello Suite 1", why not play it for him to gain or gauge an expectation from him where you are, and what can be done next? What is your long-term goal, recreational, hobby-ish or a concert performer, as this would lead to separate teaching methods, methinks?

I think your teacher would ask you these kinds of questions anyway, but in case he won't, would you pro-actively tell him what you expect?

I think it is a two-way street and mutually beneficial for both if goals or expectations are more or less defined from the beginning.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:59 pm

Had at least 8 private teachers and then at least 2 conservatoire main professors. They were of all ages, 24-61. Each one is different but they ALL are friendly like.
Mostly you just play something at the start you were working on. I usually show some excercises (arpeggios, right hand formulas, left hand excercises, etc...) then proceed to a piece. Others just say "hey okay play something".
I would not preoccupate at all, just keep working on your guitar stuff and show them that.

And hey I'm also your age and kinda look like you but paler... maybe we are twins.
You're reading this.

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:44 am

😁😁😁😁😁 Thanks for the input man and I have no clue what you look like but probs!

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:06 pm

chien buggle wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Remember, you are auditioning him. He’s the one who should be nervous. Good advice about thinking about your goals, most admired performers, favorite pieces you’d like to play. But more importantly, can he take you where you want to go? What is his philosophy on teaching: just play pieces, just mind numbing drills, health mix of the two? Is that what you want to do? Does he control and direct you where you should go or just let you noodle through it? Rigorous or just fun? And is this the approach you want to follow? Can he connect you with peers? How does he give feedback? Positive, constructive, or negative, condescending and arrogant? Does he seem fun? Does he love teaching or is this just a gig to make money? Is he a skilled teacher or just shreds? Can he put things into words and demonstrate how to do it? Does he have a system? And finally, do you feel a connection?
I would be very careful about thinking like this. The fact is that the OP is not qualified to assess the teacher. Beginning students are really not in a position to have an opinion on things like teaching philosophy. Also although I sometimes joke around too much with my students, whether a teacher is fun or not is really irrelevant.

Of course you must try to find a well qualified, teacher who is a good performer with plenty of experience teaching. However being open minded as a student is one of the most important things. If you go into lessons with the idea that you should be in control and you are only learning what you think is best, you will not be able to learn anything that contradicts your own opinions, which as a beginner, are not informed.

You should of course get along with your teacher but it's not a date. The real test is, are you learning? If the answer is no, then leave but if you like how your teacher plays and you're learning then stay on.
Sorry I couldn’t disagree more. If the student isn’t qualified now to make these decisions then get help. But he’s paying the money. There’s too many incompetent teachers out there who are glad to show you how to play cowboy chords or stairway to Heaven. If you don’t have some concept of where you want to go any lousy teacher is glad to take you there. He’s paying. The point is, the teacher should be the nervous one. He’s auditioning for you not the other way around.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

chien buggle

Post by chien buggle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:06 pm
chien buggle wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote:

Sorry I couldn’t disagree more. If the student isn’t qualified now to make these decisions then get help. But he’s paying the money. There’s too many incompetent teachers out there who are glad to show you how to play cowboy chords or stairway to Heaven. If you don’t have some concept of where you want to go any lousy teacher is glad to take you there. He’s paying. The point is, the teacher should be the nervous one. He’s auditioning for you not the other way around.
Apologies Rick. The point I was trying to make was this. While it is essential to evaluate a teacher on their playing, teaching experience and academic qualifications, and you should definitely discuss your aims. You must allow your teacher to decide how best to help you achieve those aims.

I have had two occasions when an adult student came to me for a lesson and then proceeded to explain to me in minute detail how they wanted me to teach them. Even after I politely explained to one of them that I thought he would be better off with another teacher he was still determined to do a lesson with me! and he revealed that he had been to over ten teachers previously although seemed to have learnt nothing (I wonder why?)

You're totally right that the OP shouldn't be nervous and should consider that he is also evaluating the teacher. However learning requires that we stay open minded, most teachers have their own methods and assuming the teacher is a good player, they are in a much better position to decide on how best achieve the student's aims.

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:33 pm

chien buggle wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:06 pm
chien buggle wrote:

Apologies Rick. The point I was trying to make was this. While it is essential to evaluate a teacher on their playing, teaching experience and academic qualifications, and you should definitely discuss your aims. You must allow your teacher to decide how best to help you achieve those aims.

I have had two occasions when an adult student came to me for a lesson and then proceeded to explain to me in minute detail how they wanted me to teach them. Even after I politely explained to one of them that I thought he would be better off with another teacher he was still determined to do a lesson with me! and he revealed that he had been to over ten teachers previously although seemed to have learnt nothing (I wonder why?)

You're totally right that the OP shouldn't be nervous and should consider that he is also evaluating the teacher. However learning requires that we stay open minded, most teachers have their own methods and assuming the teacher is a good player, they are in a much better position to decide on how best achieve the student's aims.
Right. I get what you guys are both saying. I am paying money and I already have my goals in mind. I will explain my goals but once those goals are understood, the teacher gets the steering wheel. I understand that evaluation can't be done within a day, which is why I gotta stay open minded and check over my progress since these lessons are costly. The teacher has a very flexible cancellation policy if by chance he's not the one for me or can't help my reach my goals. First lesson is on Tuesday. Mucho excited!

chien buggle

Post by chien buggle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:48 pm

Good luck dude, I'm sure you will learn a lot. It's actually a big step going for face to face lessons. Fair play to you:)

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:49 pm

chien buggle wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:48 pm
Good luck dude, I'm sure you will learn a lot. It's actually a big step going for face to face lessons. Fair play to you:)
Thanks! Much appreciated!

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 pm

So the first lesson today went really well. We started off telling each other's experiences and how long we've played guitar. He's very experienced and confident when I stated my goals and what I want out of the instrument. Today was more on theory, rest stroke and fingering consistency.

He noticed that I alternate fingers but change my alternating pattern and sometimes don't alternate. Went over chord structure and why chords work and how to make scales out of them. Told me to practice rest stroking scales to hone my alternating as well as learning this new picking technique.

The guy is a winner and can really play. We'll tackle tremolo and trilling at a later time after the ground work is laid out. :) No regrets and I feel a great sense of direction now for my stagnant practice routine. And only $180/month for 4 one hour lessons and HE comes over to MY house :)

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Glad to hear! Enjoy, learn a lot.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 pm

:chitarrista: Yay!
You're on your way. Keep us posted on your progress.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 pm

guitarist_le wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 pm
So the first lesson today went really well. We started off telling each other's experiences and how long we've played guitar. He's very experienced and confident when I stated my goals and what I want out of the instrument. Today was more on theory, rest stroke and fingering consistency.

He noticed that I alternate fingers but change my alternating pattern and sometimes don't alternate. Went over chord structure and why chords work and how to make scales out of them. Told me to practice rest stroking scales to hone my alternating as well as learning this new picking technique.

The guy is a winner and can really play. We'll tackle tremolo and trilling at a later time after the ground work is laid out. :) No regrets and I feel a great sense of direction now for my stagnant practice routine. And only $180/month for 4 one hour lessons and HE comes over to MY house :)
180$ a month and 4 classes?
That would be 45 dollars per class. Wow kind of expensive. Also take into account I'm not from USA (Argentina) but an hour class IF a professor goes to your house is about 8-10 dollars equivalent.
But hey if you can afford it and works for you, great.
You're reading this.

guitarist_le

Post by guitarist_le » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 pm

180$ a month and 4 classes?
That would be 45 dollars per class. Wow kind of expensive. Also take into account I'm not from USA (Argentina) but an hour class IF a professor goes to your house is about 8-10 dollars equivalent.
But hey if you can afford it and works for you, great.
Wow! That's unheard of, at least in my town. I'm in Nebraska from the US. These were the cheapest classes I can find. My original instructor would've been $240/mo. $60 for an hour.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”