Lessons here at Delcamp

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Victoria Ferrell
Student of the online lessons

Lessons here at Delcamp

Post by Victoria Ferrell » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:21 am

Hello Friends,

I legitimately cannot afford the lessons I was taking privately and would love to hear some of your experiences with the resource offered here. I have seen some positive feedback and would like to hear from others, if at all possible.

Respectfully,

Victoria
I don't want to play like other guitarists; I want to give voice to the song of my own soul.

Christopher Langley

Re: Lessons here at DelCamp

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:53 am

If you can self critique you will do well.

If not, still no harm in trying.

What have you to lose?

Download the materials and give it a go.

I'm on year 1 lesson 7.
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Re: Lessons here at DelCamp

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi Victoria,

I wrote a long response on my phone, then it died. So I'll try again.

The most often repeated advice on Delcamp (probably mostly from teachers) is "get a teacher". But you've addressed that, and this site was created for you. Its free. But being from California, I might suggest checking out your local community college to see if there is a decent teacher teaching group lessons there. My teacher in 1980 (now deceased) taught at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo and was a brilliant teacher. Even a group lesson will help you get over some common beginner pitfalls.

You've discovered the resources available online too. Which is great. I do recommend the Delcamp lessons. I am a student who began (after 2 years in the 80's as aluded to above) at D03 and am now halfway through D07 on the Spanish Forum. The Delcamp lessons can't give you everything you get from personal one-on-one obviously, but it can provide some of what personal lessons may not provide, besides being free.

1. Prof Delcamp has ammassed a vast repertoire of graded, edited, quality pieces and exercises from his lifelong career as a conservatory professor arranged by year of study. Its all free and includes all or many the classic pedagogical works of Sor, Tarrega, Carcassi, Giuliani, etc. He has also demonstrated each on video. This alone is a vast contribution to guitar instruction.

2. He has created this forum as a platform for students to share their work each month for feedback and critique, and more importantly, for enthusiastic positive support from your peers. This is a great way to track your progress against that of others. The creation of the videos is daunting at first. But remember these are student progress videos, not final performances. At first I labored to get them perfect, never succeeded, and it takes forever to get that perfect take. Don't bother.

If you participate in the minimum number of lessons in the year, you can submit your work on the final exam to be judged by a jury of teachers and receive a certificate for your participation. (This video, I take more time to perfect). In France at least, this is recognized as up to 8 years of music education qualifying for entry to music conservatory.

The videos, which I have on my youtube channel (beaugy99) are a great repository for me to go back and see my progress over time. I do this probably 3 or 4 times a year when I get to a plateau or a valley to see just how far I've some in my study. Very inspiring.

3. It is completely self-paced and voluntary, though the monthly lessons from September to June (10 lessons) provide a great way to keep on track and improve. If you want to go back and do a year over, many do. Like you, I started my first year late and was able to catch up. Just alert your fellow students at that level and they'll watch out for your work and try to give you feedback.

[Here's a tip. You have to complete 7 of 10 lessons to sit for the exam. BUT, the exam comes out in May and is submitted within a month. The piece is often selected from a prior lesson so you may not be starting it from scratch. However, by May you've only gotten to start lesson 9. So that means that actually you have to complete 7 out of 8 lessons to that point to sit for the exam. If you were planning on just focussing on the last 7, don't if you want to take the exam. This fact snuck up on me in my first truncated year and I had to scramble backwards to qualify.]

Now, the downsides: you don't get personalized instruction from a teacher, but mostly encouragement and some feedback from your peers at the same level. Maybe once in a while a teacher may pop in, or a "student tutor" from a higher level, like myself (to my knowledge I'm the only one so desigated so far). But if you need special attention, which is very likely especially starting out on the right foot, you won't get it here. I can suggest the community college route mentioned above, or find a good teacher and get a check up once in a while to supplement the online course if you need it. AND work in parrallel with a good CG method. I recommend Frederick Noad's books Solo Guitar Playing 1 and 2. Classics and still one of the best. These will help with those details about right and left hand technique, proper tone production, position, etc. Very important fundamentals to ingrain early. If you've had some beginner lessons from a GOOD teacher, you may have this already. And I haven't tried this myself, but there are many teachers on the forum. Send them a pm and maybe I'm certain they will give you some valuable tips or even a quick skype lesson.

By far the best part (for me) of the Delcamp lessons is the friendships I've formed with CG enthusiasts from the US, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Sweden, Canada, Texas, GB, China, Vietnam, and... did I leave any out?

So don't hesitate to dive in (looks like you have already) and feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions about the lessons or how to get the most out of your experience here.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Jason Kulas

Re: Lessons here at Delcamp

Post by Jason Kulas » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:53 am

Rick pretty much covered it all.

The lessons here give you a structure, some instruction, and evaluations from other students can help keep an eye on your form, technique, execution, etc.

The classes here don't teach music reading, or some fundamental principles of Classical guitar playing. If you don't feel solid about this, you may want to supplement the lessons here with extra reading/explanatory/pictorial material. I like the very popular "Solo Guitar Playing" book/CD series by Frederick Noad (includes teaching how to read music, and detailed explanation of technique)...same book Rick recommended. Noad gets you quickly into playing some musically pleasing practice pieces. You may also want additional explanatory/instructional videos. I like the free ones at https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/lessons/ (includes teaching how to read music in his free book, and detailed demonstration of technique). The Noad is my favorite of all the beginner approaches I've looked at so far, but they all offer something unique and valuable, and all have their fans. Some teach things in a different order, and one approach might be frustrating for you, while another could feel just right.
Beginner. Yamaha G-50A. Connecticut, USA

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”