Satie, Gnossienne no. 1 query

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
Cass Couvelas

Satie, Gnossienne no. 1 query

Post by Cass Couvelas » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:10 pm

I have the edition of Satie's Gnossienne no. 1 arranged by Roland Dyens (part of his collection 'Mes arrangements à l'amiable', published by Lemoine). The score is very well marked and there are good and clear explanations of the various notation markings at the front of the collection. But there's one that isn't spelled out that I haven't seen before and can't work out.

Where the time signature changes to 6/4 for the fourth bar only, 'sif' is written in. See below. Is this just an alert to warn the unsuspecting that the time signature has changed? Or something else? I suspect that it's a French abbreviation, but can't for the life of me work out what it might be for.

Does anyone know what it might be? Thanks.
Gnossienne1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cass Couvelas on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

Reza Chitsaz

Re: Satie, Gnossienne no. 1 query

Post by Reza Chitsaz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 pm

maybe it's called "subito forte" but I do not understand the + or i

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:20 pm

For what it's worth, the original score for piano has NO bar lines and NO time signature. Yet the phrases do fall into discernible measures if you look for them. The score can be seen at IMSLP.org and I believe it is in the public domain, even in France. I suggest looking it up.

KP

Guero

Post by Guero » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:30 pm

Reza Chitsaz wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 pm
maybe it's called "subito forte" but I do not understand the + or i
The piano score and other guitar arrangements have a "f" , forte, right there.
Not sure about the "s +" neither.
But since Dyens used "sub." a lot in his sheets I think subito is right.

Cass Couvelas

Post by Cass Couvelas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks everyone.

I see that I’d misread the symbol as ‘sif’ rather than ‘s+f’. The piano score (thanks for that link – most instructive) certainly bears out the ‘forte’ here. So I will go with ‘subito forte’.

It’s such a strange style of marking, though, and unique throughout the entire collection.

The square brackets that enclose it are a puzzle. The fact that they extend over the depth of the staff lines suggests to me that maybe the marking is intended to apply to those melody sequences only, and the bass notes continue to be played softly. I’ll consider that as a possibility.
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”